• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap 1080P build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snowbrd

Ok, so I have 500 dollars and I need to build a computer to act as a kitchen computer that can play 1080p video. A full build without acessories. Including psu etc. I've never worked with a budget this small, and was hoping you could help me figure this out.

$500 is pretty small. I'd either go with a SB Pentium and use the iGPU, or go with an atom or AMD super low power, and throw in a cheap low end GPU. Go for a Mini-ITX case with a decent PSU, like the Silverstone Sugo series. Stuff like RAM and HDDs you should be able to get cheap off the classies.

I'd look at buying a brand name computer. Check the daily deals at Tigerdirect and snag something on the cheap. IMO you can't beat what you'll find there (even the refurbs) for what it would cost you to piece together.

Have you considered a tablet instead? What's the intended use other than 1080p video? Maybe a HD LCD TV with internet apps would work just fine...

Ok, so I have 500 dollars and I need to build a computer to act as a kitchen computer that can play 1080p video. A full build without acessories. Including psu etc. I've never worked with a budget this small, and was hoping you could help me figure this out.

How about http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/531...-21.5-e2211h-1080p-led-lcd-monitor-win-7-prem

You won't be able to build anything even close, especially considering this comes with Windows. If 1080p performance isn't good enough, throw in a cheapie 6570 or GT 430 or whatever.

rat, that is a good deal when looking at getting window 7, but with the X4500 on there. it wont do h264 decoding ect for bd codec or HD codecs. it would need to be the x4500HD so on that system a add-in card would be needed, good deal none the less.

Last edited:
i3 2100, H61, 4GB, 1TB, burner, and a Thermaltake case with PSU for $353.99 plus shipping, $17.32 in my case.

OK deal but no OS or monitor, if that matters to the OP :shrug:

Would it be able to do 1080p easily like without lag? I've seen a bunch of them do 1080p its just soo laggy that you can't do anything.

define lag... lag could be many things, right now im not sure what your refering too. im using a GT430 on a 24in at 1900x1200, i dont have any kind of lag on desktop or with BD movies.

Don't forget. Sandy Bridge's onboard GPU kicks some serious butt considering it's integrated. And they released Pentiums based on Sandy Bridge. Take one of those, throw it in a Mini-ITX build, and you've got exactly what you need. This totals up to about $400 with shipping, so if it isn't hefty enough for you, just add a video card and you're set. :thup:

And if you feel like going uber-cheap, you could get a cheaper motherboard, that's one of the most expensive boards but it looks like it's worth it to me. You could have this build for just over $350.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    18.2 KB · Views: 58
Got a suggestion for a case? I don't want it to be barebones. More or less like the htpc except for the kitchen. I have a cheapo 500gb WD green sitting around for a hd so yeah.

The case is in there, it's the Silverstone SG05BB, Mini-ITX with a decent PSU in it. Miah used a similar one in an article he wrote on here about SFF gaming rigs, so I assume that it's pretty good quality, especially if it's just going to be sitting there most of the time.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=sg05

You have a CPU, Motherboard, RAM, PSU, HDD, and case, I think that's everything.

Back