• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap 3Ghz dual core config?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alacritan

I've been out of the overclocking loop for the last couple years as I haven't overhauled my system since the Sempron 3100+ came out (and I bought one and overclocked it from 1.8Ghz to 2.4Ghz and later took an A64 3400+ to 2.7Ghz), and it's been WAY longer since I've considered buying Intel (not since before the K6).

Now, it's time to move to a dual core system and PCI-E and DDR2 and all that good stuff (it seems UT3 requires it). However, I'm planning on joining the Air Force in the spring, so I won't be using this system for more than 6 months. Thus, I want to spend as little as possible on it. I've got the processor picked out, an E2160, and a couple of $30 1GB DDR2-800 sticks, but the motherboard choice has me confused. I don't know Intel chipsets that well, and the merits of particular motherboard models even less well. What can I get for $100 or less that will take an E2160 to 3.0Ghz? In my price range, I see these boards as possibilities:

GIGABYTE GA-P31-DS3L ($77)
ASUS P5KPL-VM G31 mATX ($77)
ASUS P5LD2 R2.0 945P ($85)
BIOSTAR P35D2-A7 ($85)

Will any of these take an E2160 to 3.0Ghz or higher? According to reviews, the Biostar can do between 370 and 390 FSB. And the Gigabyte can do nearly 400 FSB. But I also hear lots of good things about the Asus P5 boards, even though they use several different Intel chipsets. Right now I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

I read previously about pad mods being required with certain motherboards. I wasn't sure if that was necessary for any of these boards.

DS3L FTW. Great motherboard, not one problem yet for me. Slam in the E2160, set the FSB to 333, and you're all set. Just to let you know, you won't be needing to OC anything to 3Ghz to run UT3. I think the latest requirements for newer games are in serious need of work. They don't specify dual core, quad core, ect ect.. they just say "3-4Ghz". My girlfriends system can run UT3 and COD4 just fine, so an E2160 + a sweet card will be more than enough to jack up that eye candy.

most games require 3ghz indeed, but that's single core.
A E2160, fsb to 333 will do just fine.
Maybe you've already said what graphics card your getting, but I suggest you get the X1950 if you're on a tight budget. :)

DS3L FTW. Great motherboard, not one problem yet for me. Slam in the E2160, set the FSB to 333, and you're all set. Just to let you know, you won't be needing to OC anything to 3Ghz to run UT3. I think the latest requirements for newer games are in serious need of work. They don't specify dual core, quad core, ect ect.. they just say "3-4Ghz". My girlfriends system can run UT3 and COD4 just fine, so an E2160 + a sweet card will be more than enough to jack up that eye candy.

Just to be clear, you got the P31 version?

I mentioned UT3 because it's the first game that has had unplayable performance on an older single core based system. I know it UT3 doesn't require a 3GHz dual core, but it certainly benefits from one. And there's no doubt that Crysis will certainly run better on a 3GHz dual core than on one running at 1.8GHz.

As for a video card, I'm waiting for the next generation to come out at the end of November. Both ATi and Nvidia should be debuting new cards starting at ~$200-250 and up, and even if I don't get one of those, I'm sure the price of the 8800 GTS 640MB will drop considerably.

Now I have to find out what my options are for quiet, but powerful aftermarket CPU cooling if I want to go past 3GHz.

Just to be clear, you got the P31 version?

I mentioned UT3 because it's the first game that has had unplayable performance on an older single core based system. I know it UT3 doesn't require a 3GHz dual core, but it certainly benefits from one. And there's no doubt that Crysis will certainly run better on a 3GHz dual core than on one running at 1.8GHz.

As for a video card, I'm waiting for the next generation to come out at the end of November. Both ATi and Nvidia should be debuting new cards starting at ~$200-250 and up, and even if I don't get one of those, I'm sure the price of the 8800 GTS 640MB will drop considerably.

Now I have to find out what my options are for quiet, but powerful aftermarket CPU cooling if I want to go past 3GHz.

I have the P35. It's great for the money. Gigabyte has really been the best experience I've had so far with any motherboard. Not one single issue at all on either of them. But there are other nice options out there. I just recommend Gigabyte because of my great experience with them.

UT3 does run OK on my girls rig. Have to set the options to medium and low in some areas, but it's playable. As far as Crysis goes, yeah, that game is gonna need some juice to run good. That's why I went with a quad. I don't wanna be upgrading anytime soon unless there is something I just can't resist.

For cooling, you really can't go wrong with a nice Thermalright Ultra 120, though I recommend Scythe because they're much cheaper and offer cooling that is very comparable. Both are very quiet coolers, though it depends on the fan you choose to use with them.

I've been looking at heatsinks in the $30 range ideally. I didn't want to have to drop $50-65 on a heatsink that I'll only be using for a few months. The Sunbeam Silent Whisper is $23 at the Heatsink Factory, and it runs about 3°C hotter than the Sunbeam Tuniq Tower, which I know is a very good heatsink, so the Silent Whisper should be a considerable improvement over the Intel heatsink hopefully (figuring out relative performance is a pain in the *** because I can't find any Tuniq Tower or Silent Whisper vs Stock Intel results). I saw a Thermalright XP-120 for $35, but according to the Heatsink Factory, it's extra to get the LGA775 mounting hardware, pushing the price up to $41 before shipping. I think I'll go with the Silent Whisper unless someone knows of a better heatsink in the $30 and under price range.

Does anyone know how hot a C2D gets at 3GHz with the stock cooler? I managed to find a review that showed the Silent Whisper at 52C Load @ 3GHz on an E6600 (1.51 vcore). I don't know how much cooler that is than with the stock heatsink.

Check out the Scythe Ninja - one of the best air coolers out there (probably second only to the Ultra 120 Extreme). You can get it for $41 shipped; or, get the Scythe Ninja Mini for $36 shipped.

Check out the Scythe Ninja - one of the best air coolers out there (probably second only to the Ultra 120 Extreme). You can get it for $41 shipped; or, get the Scythe Ninja Mini for $36 shipped.

may i suggest an Ultra 90... you can find em CHEAP and they are actually really good. its definetly better than a mini ninja

http://jab-tech.com/Thermalright-Ultra-90-775-pr-3349.html

23 bucks + shipping...

actually it would be BETTER if you bought the K8 version of the ultra 90 (15.95)

http://jab-tech.com/Thermalright-Ultra-90-K8-pr-3348.html

and the socket 775 bolt through kit 6.95

http://jab-tech.com/Thermalright-LGA775-Bolt-Thru-Kit-pr-3605.html

this would provide a MUCH better and evenly spread pressure on the cpu than the stupid plastic clip things and it adds up to the same price so its a win win!

Last edited:
The Ultra 90 looks like a very good deal, certainly better than the Silent Whisper that I was looking at. At that price, I might even get the Nexus fan for $9 with it. I didn't consider it a possibility when I was browsing the Heatsink Factory because the Ultra 90 is listed for $26 and the Nexus fan was an additional $13. Either Jabtech has killer prices or Heatsink Factory is a complete ripoff.

The Ultra 90 looks like a very good deal, certainly better than the Silent Whisper that I was looking at. At that price, I might even get the Nexus fan for $9 with it. I didn't consider it a possibility when I was browsing the Heatsink Factory because the Ultra 90 is listed for $26 and the Nexus fan was an additional $13. Either Jabtech has killer prices or Heatsink Factory is a complete ripoff.

well theres 2 versions of the ultra 90, the k8 and the socket 775 but both versions at the HS factory are like the same price... everywhere around the K8 version is alot less.

as for a fan the nexus is over priced...

this fan is alot better priced, id look at either a yate loon 92mm

http://jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-92mm-Case-Fan-D90BM-12-Medium-Speed-Ball-Bearing-pr-3774.html

or an artic cooling 92mm
http://jab-tech.com/Arctic-Cooling-92mm-Fan-ACF9-pr-3296.html

both are good fans (yate loon is prefrebal IMO... i love yate loon fans)

with the Ultra 120 k8 w/ a socket 775 bolt through kit, and a yate loon 92mm fan you could almost with out a doubt hit 3ghz easy with an e2160

I've got four 120mm Yate Loon fans that I used on my radiator when I was running a watercooling loop. I didn't know they made a 92mm version. For some reason Jabtech doesn't have it listed in the drop down menu on the Ultra 90 page. Nexus fans are really nice, but I suppose they aren't 2x as good as a Yate Loon.

I should be able to hit 3GHz with the stock Intel heatsink, but I'd rather run 5-10C cooler anyway. Or have the option to take it to 3.2-3.3GHz.

Thanks for the heads up on the heatsink and fan.

I've got four 120mm Yate Loon fans that I used on my radiator when I was running a watercooling loop. I didn't know they made a 92mm version. For some reason Jabtech doesn't have it listed in the drop down menu on the Ultra 90 page. Nexus fans are really nice, but I suppose they aren't 2x as good as a Yate Loon.

I should be able to hit 3GHz with the stock Intel heatsink, but I'd rather run 5-10C cooler anyway. Or have the option to take it to 3.2-3.3GHz.

Thanks for the heads up on the heatsink and fan.

no prob thats what we is here for.

Well, it mostly just sucks running at the edge of acceptable core temperatures because when warmer weather rolls around I'd have to bump the clockspeed down and it saddens me every time I have to do it.

Back