• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap "gaming" dekstop. Are these parts a good choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seemed like people didn't like the AMD FX 6300 + Gigabyte Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P USB3.0
Any suggestions on a motherboard for the AMD 6300 if I go that rout?
If you're going through Microcenter it all depends on what they have in stock.

These would be my recommendations
Gigabyte 970A UD3/P
Asus M5A97 R 2.0
Asus M5A990Fx Pro

Ok maybe im wrong but i think you should do what i did.

Go with a intel g3258 and a decent 1150 socket board. I know there is some good boards for under 50 bucks. That can easily get him started. I ran dying light on high at 1080p. I have no problems with my current setup.

Some new games do require quad core and thats why i suggested 1150 socket. Once he has some money he can upgrade to i5 or i7.

id have to go with mandrake on this one the g3258 is a surprisingly powerful little cpu but the 6300 beats it in almost everything.

I wasn't trying to compare lol. Obviously the 6300 beats it. But he said he wanted cheap. O well just my opinion. Yall probably do more then i haha

Ya the nephew is young and has no job. He wouldn't be buying an i5 anytime soon. 6300 should be more than enough processing power.

Thanks for the list of motherboards. Might be building a pc this weekend :)

Back