• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap i7 or i5... Upgrading from Pentium4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechJunky

So, I have a neighbor that has an old Pentium4 and I just couldn't stand to see him use that piece of junk anymore. I am a Server Engineer by trade so I had some extra parts laying around and I am trying to help him upgrade on a budget.

I supplied him with a 1TB WD Black drive, 8GB Corsair XMS3 memory, and a cheap Biostar motherboard.

We are planning to reuse his old Computer Case and he says he already has a 700w power supply laying around.

I found a i7 930 2.8ghz on amazon for around $200...

Is there a better performance/deal to be had that will last him another 4years?

He uses his computer only for email/web and handbrake.

Thanks guys!

With what you said, I think you should actually give him a AMD X4 Quad Core....

Only reason is that why should he need a i5 quad core, when he won't even utilize it all.

Give him a AMD Quad Core, which will still have him kept up for a bit, for what he does

AMD 965 3.4ghz Quad Core for $106 bucks cheapest brand new on ebay!

I don't think the motherboard is compatible...

BIOSTAR H61MGC LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Ohhhhhh. Right!

Well back to i5 intel!

I say do a sandy bridge i5 2400 3.1ghz quad core

Brand New on ebay for...$200..

Uhm. Okay. If you have a microcenter, you could just hook him up with the newer more powerful i5 3570k for $190...and you could overclock it when it starts to get rusty..but I seriously think with what he does, that computer on stock clock will last like 5-6 years..

So spend the money on a i5 3570k vs the i7 930? They are the same exact price... I thought the i5 to the i7 technology was a big improvement... I know he won't use the Quad Core processor... I just though the i7 was leaps above the i5.

I own an i7 Quad Core and I don't even use the power, so I agree its overkill... But who knows what the next 4years will bring.

So spend the money on a i5 3570k vs the i7 930? They are the same exact price... I thought the i5 to the i7 technology was a big improvement... I know he won't use the Quad Core processor... I just though the i7 was leaps above the i5.

I own an i7 Quad Core and I don't even use the power, so I agree its overkill... But who knows what the next 4years will bring.

oh nonobnononononononononono

That i7 is old! 2.8ghz quad core on the first architecture that came with the i7 badge..

that i5 3570k 3.4ghz quad core will be considerably more powerful..

Now Hyperthreading might be an issue, but once again, the man isn't even going to utilize even half the processing power. Sooo maybe the i3?

Is the IB compatible with that H61? May have some BIOS issues.

Sorry, gonna have to update me on what IB stands for...

Thanks for the input, if the i5 is the way to go, thats what I will do. I figured you guys would know. :)

Biostar make great boards but their BIOS support is not the best. I think GamersHell has custom BIOS though. Check before buying a CPU or feelings could get hurt.

Sorry, gonna have to update me on what IB stands for...

Thanks for the input, if the i5 is the way to go, thats what I will do. I figured you guys would know. :)

the h61 was designed for the Sandy Bridge (SB) CPU and is supposed to be compatible with the Ivy Bridge (IB) CPU but the manufacturer must update the BIOS.

Hmm, if this is too much CPU, might as well just go super cheap and get him a G530 for $50 bucks... Then he can always upgrade to a Ivy Bridge later down the road?

Edit: He thinks his lousy Pentium4 is still fast...

First of all, core i7 930 won't even fit on that motherboard as i7 930 is a 1366 LGA cpu and the motherboard you gave him is LGA 1155... So that's already a big fail there :)

Anyways, just get him a core i3 2120, that will serve him well, i'm sure! I had one a week ago and it performed excellent in all games i tryed out, though i'm an overclockers so i got a i5 3570k, but if i wasn't i would definately still have that i3 2120. It's more than enough for him. And hey it's cheap too!

And probably at least 10 times as fast as his old CPU, probably more..

i would check ebay for a used one if hes realy trying to be cost efficient there are a ton on there right now from people upgrading to ivy.

Anyways, just get him a core i3 2120, that will serve him well, i'm sure! I had one a week ago and it performed excellent in all games i tryed out, though i'm an overclockers so i got a i5 3570k, but if i wasn't i would definately still have that i3 2120. It's more than enough for him. And hey it's cheap too!

And probably at least 10 times as fast as his old CPU, probably more..

+1 to the i3-2120. It's a great little, cheap CPU.

Back