• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap mechanical keyboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff G

Anyone have experience with the Outemo or Gateron switches in the cheaper machanical keyboards? I'm looking to get a cheap replacement for a computer that I type on daily, but I don't need anything special as far as lighting or features as it's not my gaming rig or anything.
I'll probably go for Red switches either way. The Outemo are 50g, vs 45g of the Gateron, so I'm not sure if that will be better for typing.

I understand that "heavier" switches are better for typing and "lighter" are better for gaming. I'm not nuanced enough to know the difference. I have a cheap membrane keyboard at work and an expensive corsair mech at home. I like the mech keyboard (brown switches) much better than the membranes that I've had over the years.

Unfortunately, I can't speak to the brands that you list.

As someone who types a fair amount at work, I prefer Cherry blues and for the other typists I've gotten keyboards for, they prefer blue or brown switches. This is a general type of switch comment, and I can't comment on those brands as I haven't tried them.

As someone who types a fair amount at work, I prefer Cherry blues and for the other typists I've gotten keyboards for, they prefer blue or brown switches. This is a general type of switch comment, and I can't comment on those brands as I haven't tried them.

Is it the higher actuation force or the clicky sound/feel that you prefer in the blues? I use reds at home so that's what I'm used to, but I'm open to trying others if you think they'll be better for typing.

Is it the higher actuation force or the clicky sound/feel that you prefer in the blues? I use reds at home so that's what I'm used to, but I'm open to trying others if you think they'll be better for typing.

I think it is in part the actuation force. You feel like you are doing something, more of a discrete action on the key. Your fingers feel less fatigued. As in you've gotten a positive indicator that you've completed the action and can stop pushing on the key move onto the next step.

I also learned to touch type on an IBM Selectric, so it may be I'm a bit atavistic on this, so make of it what you will.

Take a look at logitechs lineup. I use the g910. It's between a cherry mx brown and red. Satisfying click of the browns, while half the actuation force needed of the reds.

Take a look at logitechs lineup. I use the g910. It's between a cherry mx brown and red. Satisfying click of the browns, while half the actuation force needed of the reds.

I'm specifically looking at a no-frills, cheap mechanical for typing. Something to replace a cheap membrane board, but not something that will break the bank.
The G910 is quite expensive for that (not that it's a bad keyboard, it's just not what I'm looking for).

In that case, you are looking for the number of presses that the switch is designed for. "Cherry switches have a lifespan of up to 50 million actuations, depending on switch type."

You also don't care about keyboard "rollover" unless you are really really really fast at typing. Full rollover costs more than a regular version of a keyboard. Full rollover means that if you press every single key at the same time, they will all register. Cheap keyboards won't and that is more than ok for almost every typist.

You probably know this already but here is an awesome guide to the Cherry MX brand.
http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

Back