• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap PCI-X board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shunx

Does anyone know any board with PCI-X that is not too expensive and doesn't require dual CPU? I want one for use with RAID 5 controller.

The cheapest one I can find is the Supermicro P4SCT at about us$200.

bojangles said:
on newegg they got the new intel 915 mobos with pci-x for like 150

I can't find it, what's the model name? The boards I see based on the i915 only have PCI Express, not PCI-X.

Last edited:
Uhhhhh I didn't know there was a difference. And even then, the only pci express card out is the fx5750 AND those motherboards got recalled by intel.

That's ok I didn't know much about PCI-X either, since that market is for servers. Unfortunately there isn't yet a RAID5 card for PCI Express, so I'd need to go with PCI-X in order to go above 133MB/s.

Looks like the Supermicro board might be the cheapest one around.

nealric said:
i would wait for a pci express card.

Most boards with pci-x have no agp- so you are outta luck with gfx.

It'd be nice to have PCI Express if for no other reason than using cheaper motherboards, but graphics wouldn't matter at all with a dedicated file server.

Please read the initial post, he's looking for a board for a faster PCI bus, not PCI-E for video.

You do not need a PCI Express board. Neither do you need a single processor board that supports PCI-X. You can get any variety of boards using as old as PCI 64/66 and PIII or Tbirds/Durons. Most dual boards will run single processors fine, some may require terminators. The MPX chipset has some PCI 32/33 issues but supports 2 PCI 64/66 slots and is inexpensive as are the XP chips.

Unless you are running a very high end controller and a fair number of drives, RAID 5 will not need much over a 32/33 bus in reads, writes will normally be much slower.

There are plenty of solutions for other boards as well. This one is inexpensive for a server based solution:

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=S2720GN&cat=MBB

You would need an EPS power supply, E ATX spec case and ECC Reg PC2100, but it would make a nice server.

There are many other options out there. What hardware are you planning on using and what budget?

ive been waiting for a amd 64 board with pci express. im making a whole new system and that will probably include a pci express video card, but they havent released the high end cards for pci-e yet anyways.

Back