• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheapest extreme cooling ever!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neo565

Registered
Hi ,I recently discovered that if you hold a can of blow-off (for dusting off computers) it shoots out liquid diflouroethane as cold as LN2. I got a core 2 duo to 7ghz with it. I didnt know that was even possible.

LN2 is way colder. The can gets down to around -50c, so it is closer to dry ice temperatures. The downside now is almost all manufacturers of this stuff put bitter chemicals in it, so the area around your computer is going to taste really nasty.

If you know a chemistry supply house you can get something called like molecular mesh or something that only lets the difluoroethane get through.

Using linux running live off a flash drive. I set the speed in the bios (modified intel bios).

Setting speed in BIOS isn't relevant. Many motherboards don't even apply the set speed until after POST. Sorry to say it, but you didn't get 7GHz on a Core2Duo and you certainly didn't do it with a can of dust-off.

Look at the photo in the link Bobnova posted. They froze the CPU and Northbridge with LN2 for quite a while before they were able to pull 6.8GHz out of the system. It also took 1.96V, which would kill your CPU instantly using the method you described.

Oh I don't know about that. It may take a few seconds to die at 1.96v.

And really the compressed air cans are not cheap per volume compared to dry ice or even liquid nitrogen depending on the price quotes.

I'm wondering if hanging around a room of vaporous chemicals as described hasn't induced some altered state of perception. Better living through chemistry, but not if it's 15 letter words in your noggin'.

Back