• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chevette Heatercore in modern build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperMan0234

I am in the process of putting together my new system and wanted to know if the Chevette heatercore is still suitable for watercooling. I own two currently with 1/2 inch barbs and am looking to know if one or both would be sufficient for cooling the CPU and possibly GPU. Build is below:

CPU: AMD Fx-8320
GPU: Sapphire 7950
MB: Asus M5A99FX
Case: CM N400
PS: Corsair CX 600
Ram: 8gb (4X2) Ripjaws X 1333

Please let me know. Thanks!

I doubt a single heatercore could handle the cpu+gpu load, but I'm pretty sure both of them could handle it just fine.

You're gonna need some loud fans, though.

Would a single heatercore be sufficient for just the CPU (planning to overclock)?

Wow that sig man, talk about memories. Heatercores were dense finned and thick, so they scaled really well with high speed high pressure fans. If you slapped a monster fan on it you could probably cool cpu + gpu on one heatercore. But we are talking like one of the delta 6k rpm chop a finger off fans

http://martinsliquidlab.i4memory.com/Bonnie-Heatercore-Review.html

That was a test done on the Bonneville heatercore. For a 400w load, which is probably a bit low for an overclocked 8320 and 7950, the Bonneville core needed 2100rpm 38mm fans for a sub 10° delta. If I remember right the chevette core is closer to 120.1 and that bonnie is 120.2. So with both of yours you should see good results with the fans around the 2k mark.

Would a single heatercore be sufficient for just the CPU (planning to overclock)?
Depends on how far you're looking to push it, when these Fx 83xx's are running on all 8 cores they put out a lot of heat! 2x120 on the rad is a minimum for anything in the mid 4's if you don't want turbines for fans. Additionally, if you're looking for a "stable" Oc above 4.5 you may not get there with the M5A990FX. It just doesn't have the power to push above that "stable". You may go above that to bench but most likely not for any kind of stability. I speak first hand when saying this, I own the M5A99X Evo which power wise is the same board and couldn't get above 4.5. That said the M5A99X Evo/990Fx pro are great boards just not enough to really push on a Fx 83xx.

Haha, yes, I do need to update my sig. Thanks for that link, I knew there was some good info out there on the bonneville heatercore. Seems it may make more sense to just grab one of those than mess with the chevette cores. Thanks for the advice guys!

Back