• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chillers from scrap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myhre

I finally got the itch to start messing around with some of my old chillers. This is one of the first low temp chillers I built. The problem that I've run into with this unit is that at the temps I want it just doesn't have the capacity that I need. I've settled on running this unit at around -30C which should give me all the capacity that I'll need, while still giving a very quiet running chiller. I'm thinking about building a new chiller that could easily run down around -50C under load. I just have to decide on the layout.

IMG_2490-600x400.jpg

IMG_2493-600x400.jpg

IMG_2492.JPG

WHAT! That thing has a ball of ice around it! How does that even create if you haven't dipped your waterblock in water? Does it just freeze the condensation created and it builds up?

Herr Rogers said:
WHAT! That thing has a ball of ice around it! How does that even create if you haven't dipped your waterblock in water? Does it just freeze the condensation created and it builds up?

I actually had a bucket of water sitting on my bench that I dipped it into for a few minutes.

Myhre said:
I actually had a bucket of water sitting on my bench that I dipped it into for a few minutes.

Pretty awesome Myhre...took me a few seconds to figure out what it was, so cool (literally) !

Its hard to get a DD to stay at -50c under load without mixing gasses or cascading. I dont see this happening, not at -50c under load anyway. You would need a refrigerant with a bp better then the once commonly used for this application ie R404a / R402a / R507 / R290. Maybe Co2 or even R116 or R1150 but with those your head pressure will be incredibly high and you will need one hell of a compressor to handle the load. Those refrigerants are normaly 2nd or 3rd stage in a cascade. That should hit your electical bill like a sack of rocks, that and the noise it will make. Think expantion tanks too >< plus you will loose alot of efficiency and thus cold converting from evap to water to cpu rather then straight to cpu, which is why you dont see chillers at -50C under load.

I am not saying it cant be done but I dont see the "quiet running" part. The colder you go the harder it is to get colder. -30C is a pushover, -40c chiller is very hard, and -50c under load? I dont know.

I spend most of my time on http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.php? I have yet to see a -50c under load chiller. Do some reading at xtremesystems :)

Back