• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Chimp Challenge 2012

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@devdog51:

I have a way to get the stats automatically, on an hourly basis. It's not simple, because I haven't programmed net anything before, but it will do as a back up system, if you need it.

This runs on Windows 7, but not on Linux, etc.

Perhaps someone at OCN could assist if Zodac asked. The "if's" and "maybe's" for using last year's website this year, are getting longer and longer.

I have a site that is about 80% good to go for this if it comes to it. The site is based on drupal and uses a python back end for the stats collection. The only two major issues are 1) Never got a good way of displaying graphs and 2) Never updated some of the contest styles after EOC shutdown cvs exports.

However if someone is more competent in php/drupal the graph issue would be a quick fix, I suppose. I started the project last summer, got it to the working point by August and just haven't had a chance to get back into finishing and polishing it.
http://www.dccontests.com/

All my code is under the GLP and I'd be willing to give someone or a few people access to everything if they need the site. I just don't have time at the moment to get the graphs/stats properly displaying or do any other polishing to the site. However it's there and hosted if last year's site becomes unavailable.

Should also point out adding a new contest type wouldn't be that much work at all, if needed.

Thanks Shelnutt.

The web master from last year, has moved on, and now whether his assistant can and will help pull it together is in doubt.

Zodac has a graphics package she's good with, so the graphs are OK, it's everything else that needs doing, basically. Just as a backup. Devdog51 is working on it, but he's half-blind from an eye injury he received a few days ago. I know squat about PHP, but I'm doing a program up in C and using a bat file with Wget for Windows and Task Scheduler (a bit like a Cron job in Linux). :D

We should get a final yes or no from the HWC guy, in 48 hours or so. Please hold that offer for us, until we get that.

You know you're going straight to hell with the grammar on that site, right? :rofl: Would you like me to correct it?

Edit:

This is the correction, just drop the dot txt extension).
View attachment Distributed Computing Contests _ Distributed Computing Contests.htm.txt

Last edited:
Sounds like the spirit of the CC has seen its day. It's just too difficult to create a race between teams with such enormously different daily totals.

It seems to me the team with the highest total should win the CC and since we already know who that will be, its rather lame to organize an event whose outcome is known.

Sounds like the spirit of the CC has seen its day. It's just too difficult to create a race between teams with such enormously different daily totals.

It seems to me the team with the highest total should win the CC and since we already know who that will be, its rather lame to organize an event whose outcome is known.

Statistically speaking, it's diffficult, but NOT impossible. The job this year was made many times more difficult because 1) the organization of the CC captains was an "everyone is equal" committee - and without a chairman, that's a terrible way to get work done, 2) a lot of the CC captains had no experience - some had never HEARD of the CC until this month, 3) the format needed to be revamped, and 4) the work that needed to be done over the Fall and Winter, was not done, and 5) the web site manager for the last two years, AND the site, were no longer available for the CC.

The CC version of a "perfect" storm.

Thanks Shelnutt.

The web master from last year, has moved on, and now whether his assistant can and will help pull it together is in doubt.

Zodac has a graphics package she's good with, so the graphs are OK, it's everything else that needs doing, basically. Just as a backup. Devdog51 is working on it, but he's half-blind from an eye injury he received a few days ago. I know squat about PHP, but I'm doing a program up in C and using a bat file with Wget for Windows and Task Scheduler (a bit like a Cron job in Linux). :D

We should get a final yes or no from the HWC guy, in 48 hours or so. Please hold that offer for us, until we get that.

You know you're going straight to hell with the grammar on that site, right? :rofl: Would you like me to correct it?

Do you know what graphics package she has? Starting this weekend I should have free time and next week so if needed we can get it up and running. However like I said it's basically there, minus the graphics. I'm sure I'd need to create a new contest scheme for whatever point system we use, but that's pretty easy to do. The site also updates ever 3 hours, 18 minutes out of sync with EOC, which gives EOC enough time to process the stat changes. If people wanted the data pulled directly from stanford I'm sure I could work that too. I just used EOC because of the easy xml output.

As far as grammar, well there is a reason I'm a math person and not a english person :p. Feel free to make any corrections yes :)

Do you know what graphics package she has? Starting this weekend I should have free time and next week so if needed we can get it up and running. However like I said it's basically there, minus the graphics. I'm sure I'd need to create a new contest scheme for whatever point system we use, but that's pretty easy to do. The site also updates ever 3 hours, 18 minutes out of sync with EOC, which gives EOC enough time to process the stat changes. If people wanted the data pulled directly from stanford I'm sure I could work that too. I just used EOC because of the easy xml output.

As far as grammar, well there is a reason I'm a math person and not a english person :p. Feel free to make any corrections yes :)

Zodac's posted so much, I can't find the one where she mentioned her Graphics software. It was a Google chart tool, iirc.

The updates would need to come from Stanford, every hour, at about 30 minutes after the hour (updated summary data files arrive at about 20 after the hour):
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/daily_user_summary.txt.bz2

I've got code to handle this, but it only works on Windows 7 x64, so it's probably not helpful, but shows the logic anyway.

We'll know more when the other website arrangements get sorted - either yeah or nay.

Thanks for your kind offer, Shelnutt. :thup:

Last edited:
I'm using GDocs (and their built-in graphs). However, I can only pull stats off of EOC's XML exports, which means it updates every 3 hours.

It's only there as a back-up; hopefully there'll be a site like last year instead. :)

The homebrew C program is coming along OK. Here's an example of the graph it makes, on a projected update.

ccGraphA.PNG

OP Updated.

COMPETITION STARTS 15TH MAY

Points example:

Example numbers

Team A - 120
Team B - 84
Team C - 47
Team D - 103

We take the range (max-min, which = 73). We then use this formula = (points*100/range).

So the scores become:

Team A - 164.4
Team B - 115.1
Team C - 64.4
Team D - 141.1

Finally, we subtract the lowest score (64.4) from all teams, to bring the points into a 10-110 range (10 for lowest team, 110 for highest team):

Team A = 110
Team B = 50.7
Team C = 10
Team D = 76.7

My 3770k gets here monday and I just about have my 3930k rig ready to go. I just have to convince my GPU's to play nice with folding.

Public passkey is:

Code:
00fc1ca869ed43359d7ea6695cd75d28

Only a little over a week to go!

Public passkey is:

Code:
00fc1ca869ed43359d7ea6695cd75d28

Only a little over a week to go!

David, why is this one different than the one on the frontpage?? Does it make a difference which is used?

This is the one on the frontpage for reference:
Code:
3311d92fd7ee331bd66dfe6eea01708b

I jumped the gun a bit on this Moz_21, and had already assigned a public passkey, before David pm'd me with the public passkey he wanted used.

Since the post with the first public passkey had been up for several days, I thought it would be confusing to change it.

Do they both work then? I just want to make sure we're getting the points!!

My SR2 is at T32monkeys disposal as of this eav. I'm running normal units -smp 16 no big adv b/c I may have to turn it off during the night during portions of the CC duration. Its already hot where I live and the SR2 resides in my masterbedroom :p

Got the i7 870 running @ 3.8 GHz, 3770k @ 4 GHz and 3930K @ 4 GHz. Let the races begin! :D

Just added an I5 650 @ stock.

Last edited:
Back