• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chipsets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monstergamin

Registered
I have been hopping the forums trying to put questions in the proper places while i research upgrading my rig .I am pretty sure i am going to go with the AMD phenom 1055t. I had read that AMD preforms better on a AMD chipset?
I have always had great luck with nvidia chipsets. does the chipset make a big diffrence?
will SLI run on a AMD chipset the last build was 590i sli I am not up to date
if i go with a nividia chipset what do I go with do i go with ?
If AMD is better which chipset is best?

I plan on doing alot of gaming running adobe cs4, and alot of movies
would someone school me on the new chipsets or at least narrow it down to a few good choices and let me reseach them

Thx

I just go schooled on this the other day.

AMD chipset will do X-Fire, not SLI. Nvidia chipset will do SLI, not X-Fire. I have heard MSI was working on something that might be do both, but I'm not sure about that one yet.

I think the "best" chipset has gone back and forth a few times, but as of now I believe the 890fx AMD chipset to be the best performing, though without SLI capability. More depends on if you want to run two cards...and if you do want to whats your preference, Nvidia or ATi. That will probably be your deciding factor.

I would take a strong look at the AMD 890fx. On the Nvidia front for AMD stuff I have no idea what holds the crown right now.

MSI, I believe, released a motherboard featuring Lucid Hydra chipset. This basically allowed for either one ATI and one Nvidia to run as one GPU (like SLI/X-Fire). There was a review about it on PCPER.com a long time ago.

I don't know if that motherboard was ever released to the public or if the technology fizzled out.

That creates a delimia I am on a budget and wasnt going to be able to afford new video cards yet I am currently running 2 XFX alphadog 8800gt w/Zalman coolers they are still decent cards crossfire means at least $350-400 i dont have what are my options for a good nvidia chipset?

That creates a delimia I am on a budget and wasnt going to be able to afford new video cards yet I am currently running 2 XFX alphadog 8800gt w/Zalman coolers they are still decent cards crossfire means at least $350-400 i dont have what are my options for a good nvidia chipset?

Well you could still run one of your current cards...as far as good Nvidia Chipsets...I think your stuck with the 980a for now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130236

Here is an example. I haven't heard anything bad about them really. Just kind of rare, most people going AMD go with an AMD chipset too, doesn't mean they are bad by any means though, just not as common.

MSI, I believe, released a motherboard featuring Lucid Hydra chipset. This basically allowed for either one ATI and one Nvidia to run as one GPU (like SLI/X-Fire). There was a review about it on PCPER.com a long time ago.

I don't know if that motherboard was ever released to the public or if the technology fizzled out.

Lucid Hydra is only available on Big Bang range mobos which is MSI's top of the line mobos,somehow these mobos feels somewhat MSI's ROG mobos?:shock:

Lucid Hydra will also be available on the Crosshair IV Extreme. Currently the Formula version is out and the Extreme version is supposed to have the Lucid chip (from Asus).

Personally, I would buy an 890Fx, run a single 8800 gt and sell the other to buy a single 5850 or 5870 and then sell the last 8800. :shrug: Just me.

even I have a 890GX, I recommend to you the FX series, because have the capability to do x-fire 16x-16x. and that´s what you lookinG foR

Back