• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing a motherboard for overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fezik

Hello

I'm looking for a motherboard to do some very heavy overclocking with an AMD Phenom II. I would like to know which board would be the best based on the list I provide. I would also like to know which board would come second, third, etc. on the list as some of the boards may not be available when I get an answer. Thank you.

• Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
  • MSI 990FXA-GD80V2
  • ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
  • ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer

Also if you have any other suggestions, I would gladly take them into consideration.

--Fezik

:welcome: to the forums

I believe the order would go:

Sabertooth
M5A99FX
Fatal1ty
990FXA-GD80V2

The Sabertooth is considered to be one of the best boards for high end AMD cpus.

I would change that list to:

- Sabertooth
- 990FX Extreme9
- UD5 R5
- M5A99FX
- UD3 R5

IIRC the Fatal1ty doesn't have LLC.
MSI boards and FX are just a no-go.

Going to AM3+ in future -
Asus Crosshair Formula-Z.
Sabortooth rev 2.0
Gigabyte FXA UD7 or UD5

If not going to FX later, strictly AM2+
Asus Crosshair IV Formula
Asus M3A32 MVP
GA-MA790FX-DS5
M4A79-T Deluxe

Not sure about AsRock and under.....

Just the boards I'd go with for strict overclocking on certain platform.

I would change that list to:

- Sabertooth
- 990FX Extreme9
- UD5 R5
- M5A99FX
- UD3 R5

IIRC the Fatal1ty doesn't have LLC.
MSI boards and FX are just a no-go.

Correct, no LLC on the Fatal1ty board. I did a lot of reading on it before I went with the Sabertooth.

If it was me, buy the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and have fun overclocking.
For sub ambient though, the Crosshair Formula Z is hands down the best.

Gigabyte is hit or miss with good boards and MSI just plain sucks for AMD.

Thanks for the reply's. Really appreciate it.

How do compare the Sabertooth over the M5A99FX?
Would it be a better investment to go with the Sabertooth?

--Fezik

Thanks for the reply's. Really appreciate it.

How do compare the Sabertooth over the M5A99FX?
Would it be a better investment to go with the Sabertooth?

--Fezik
Taking this into account:
"I'm looking for a motherboard to do some very heavy overclocking with an AMD Phenom II."

The M5A990Fx isn't even in the same ballpark, don't get me wrong I have the M5A99X Evo board (basically the same) and it's a great board for a mild Oc but if you really want to push it's Sabertooth or Crosshair V Formula. Note: this is all taking into account that you're going to have the cooling needed for a very heavy Oc.

Thanks, realized that after i posted. Cooling is all sorted out for a very heavy Oc on the ram, NB and the Phenom.

Does the Sabertooth have as many/more options to overclock the ram and the NB as well? Or would the Crosshair V Formula be the best one for the Oc I am attempting?

--Fezik

- - - Updated - - -

Taking this into account:
"I'm looking for a motherboard to do some very heavy overclocking with an AMD Phenom II."

The M5A990Fx isn't even in the same ballpark, don't get me wrong I have the M5A99X Evo board (basically the same) and it's a great board for a mild Oc but if you really want to push it's Sabertooth or Crosshair V Formula. Note: this is all taking into account that you're going to have the cooling needed for a very heavy Oc.

Or would the Crosshair V Formula be the best one for the Oc I am attempting?

It's THE best for overclocking period. Even over the Sabortooth. Is designed for LN2 with cold boot switch and slow mode. It will be the board I use for LN2 and FX-9590 when the time comes-

Had great experiences with the M4A79-T and M3A32 MVP boards as well, being at the time AM3+ wasn't even out yet.

What cooling do you plan on using? Only liquid no chilling, Anything under the sabortooth would be fine...

There are definitely more tweaking options on the CHV/F over the sabertooth. If you really want to have as many knobs to twist as possible then the CHV is the way to go. Not that the Sabertooth is lacking, the CHV is just geared more towards extreme overclocking ie. Subambient cooling. Though I was able to get my 955 be to 5.6 Ghz on my Sabertooth on Ln2.

There are definitely more tweaking options on the CHV/F over the sabertooth. If you really want to have as many knobs to twist as possible then the CHV is the way to go. Not that the Sabertooth is lacking, the CHV is just geared more towards extreme overclocking ie. Subambient cooling. Though I was able to get my 955 be to 5.6 Ghz on my Sabertooth on Ln2.

Thanks for the reply. I think I have decided on getting the CHV/F although I am conflicted on if I should get the Formula-Z or just the Formula. Would there be any improvement/more tweaking options in the Z? And also is it worth spending the extra $$ for the Z?

Thank you

--Fezik

Unless you're going to take the CPU cold there's no reason to get the Crosshair over the Sabertooth.

Unless you're going to take the CPU cold there's no reason to get the Crosshair over the Sabertooth.

I am going to be using LN2 to cool my cpu, so that means that the Crosshair would be the better choice, correct?

--Fezik

I am going to be using LN2 to cool my cpu, so that means that the Crosshair would be the better choice, correct?

--Fezik
Most likely yes and there are only slight differences between the CHV and CHVf. I do not own a F so I can't help you with what they are.

Thank you for all the reply's! I have made my decision to go with the Formula Z. Really appreciate all the help.

Thanks

--Fezik

Awesome, I hope you enjoy the board. When you get a chance feel free to stop by the Benchmarking Team and the Overclocktagon (link in my sig and under my username!)

ditto what janus67 said.
what I find between the chv5-f and the -z boards is in the way they handle memory and a few things in the bios.
I have a 965 on a sabertooth under water, talk about a phenom scooting!!!

Back