• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing a Mountain Mods case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MX5J6

After having all of my questions answered i decided to make this the calm before the storm. This is the pre-thread to the build log which i will start when I actually place the order for the case, which will hopefully be soon.

So here is the list of every part I plan to use for this build. i will update it as things change and ask for advice on things as problems or concerns arise.

This looks like it will be about a $3700 project give or take depending on prices at the time or ordering, but as of now it is around that mark. So this will really take some time to complete, but I think the end result will be my dream machine. =]

The Centerpiece
Puzzle Box: The Lament Configuration

The Beauty
Case: Ascension CYO
Clear Acrylic
Black Wrinkle Finish
mATX/ATX Motherboard Tray
Side 1 - Big Window Side Panel
Side 2 - Big Window Side Panel
Side 3 - Triple Origional Top Panel
Standard Back Panel
Standard Front

The Beast
MoBo: ASUS Maximus V Gene LGA 1155 Intel Z77
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz Quad-Core
HSF: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO (until i upgrade to water cooling)
GPU: SLI EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB
SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series 128GB
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 750W
ODD: ASUS DVD Burner OEM

Additional Equipment
Front I/O: SilverStone Front 4 x USB3.0 Port and HD Audio Ports (Black)
3.5" Bay Converter: SilverStone Aluminum Front Panel 3.5" to a 5.25" Bay Converter
USB Converter: Internal USB 3.0 Male to Internal USB 2.0 Female Adapter Cable
Drive Bay Covers: 5x Mountain Mods ALU (Black Wrinkle Powder Coat) 5-1/4 bay cover
3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastening Strips

Air Cooling
Fan Controller: 3x Lamptron FC-8
Fans: 20x Yate Loon 120mm Silent
Fan Filter: 6x 120mm Black Aluminum
Fan Grill: 8x 120mm Chrome - Black

Water Cooling
Top/Bot Rad: 2x Black Ice GT Stealth 360 X-Flow - Red
Pump: Swiftech MCP35X 12v PWM Controlled Water Pump - Black
Res: XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Pump Attachment
CPU Block: Bitspower Summit EF CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Ice Red Acrylic
GPU Block: Koolance VID-NX680 GeForce VGA Liquid Cooling Block
SLI Bridge: Enzotech SLI Bridge Fitting Set - Matte Black
Tubing: Danger Den DreamFlex Value Pack - UV Red (1/2" ID x 3/4" OD)
Clamps: 10x Lamptron Elite Aluminum Reusable 3/4" OD - Anodized Deep Red
Fittings: 10x Enzotech G1/4" Barb Fitting - 1/2" ID Matte Black

Now that i have posted everything I plan to use here are the reason for why I chose some of the things i did.

The 3.5" bay converter is for the 3.5" I/O panel seeing as the case has no front I/O so i fouind something to do the job perfectly. I also got a 3.0 -> 2.0 converter as my mobo will only have 1 3.0 header so I can still use the other ports. Also the 5 drive bay covers so i will probably have the ODD and I/O panel on one side then 3 covers and on the opposite side the 3 fan controllers and 2 more covers.

The Dual Lock Strips will be for mounting the SSD more than likely and possibly the pump to the case bottom somewhere. haven't fully figured that out yet. Won't know final details on that until i get the case and see how everything will fit.

3x 8 channel fan controllers for 20 fans that's 8-6-6. 20x fans for the case including push/pull for the dual 120.3 rads. 5 on the back panel, 9 on the front, 2 rows of 6 and the other 3 rad fans for the front mounted rad. 6 for the top including 3 extra for the top mounted rad. Or back mounted, haven't figured out if i want to mouht the second rad on the back or top of the case yet. Of course the rest are just grills and filters for the visible fans.

The last bit is just all my water cooling equipment I plan to buy. not 100% on the red rads, might go with black, thoughts on that?

Last edited:
Absolutely you can build it with air cooling. Look at all the fan holes! It could be a rolling tornado if you want it to be. Fill all those fan holes up and you'll have a ridiculous amount of airflow, with or without radiators.

They are a water cooler's dream because they can fit so much of it, but if you want to air cool in one, there's not a thing stopping you. It's a bit expensive to just use air cooling, so pretty much only water cooling people get them; that's the only reason you don't see more air cooled MM cases. :)

Awesome so if I wanted to get into a mountain mod case is there a specific model you'd suggest I go with? I will be starting with air but upgrading to water later on so I am not sure if that affects anything?

Pick your poison. Unless things have changed, they basically have two choices - giant tower or giant cube (which is more common and generally more roomy/easier to work with).

I think the choices are the same. Just have different models in each category so I'll look at the differences but I will probably go with a cube since I am so tired of looking at towers ugh. Haha

I do have one question, will large air coolers fit in the cube cases? I have yet to really read about that.

I assume so, those things are massive. Wouldn't hurt to ask them though. If you are serious about buying a several hundred dollar case, they should answer your question easily enough. :)

I honestly didn't know about them. I will have to look them up too before I make any final decisions.

Very true. I just have one question, the mountain mods cases don't come with fans, correct? I also checked out caselabs but they are a little pricier than what I can afford right now.

Though what I am thinking about doing is buying a mountain mod case now and working on it then when I have all the case parts I need like fans and such then buy all the internals so its not all in one purchase so I can possibly get better parts or components I really have my eye on. Plus if anything new is released by then I will be up to date with technology. Thoughts on that?

No opinions on that? Because this will cost me like $150 more than a high tower so it will set my building time back a bit.

Totally up to you man. If you can't afford it all right now, take your time. While it might take a little longer, you should do what will make you happiest in the end.

Remember, cases like MM, Lian Li and Case Labs are an investment. They will last for years (at least until you want to sell them), so you want to get what you ultimately want.

Totally up to you man. If you can't afford it all right now, take your time. While it might take a little longer, you should do what will make you happiest in the end.

Remember, cases like MM, Lian Li and Case Labs are an investment. They will last for years (at least until you want to sell them), so you want to get what you ultimately want.

This is very true. I think I will do that. I can even make it a build log perhaps. =D that would be pretty exciting. Good motivation too.

never mind. Will post a full list of everything i should need for the entire build.

Last edited:
Complete parts list added down to bay covers and fan grills. =] Any thoughts or suggestions?

Back