• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing Abit MOBO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyd

Registered
Choosing Abit MOBO --> recommend pls

Guys,

I've been out of the loop for a while, but know need to make a major upgrade (my curr config is slow). I used Abit in the past and liked their mobos. Now, looking for an advice on buying MOBO/CPU/memory. My budget is $400. I read some posts- AI7 is good, what about IS7 and its versions? which is avail in my local PC shop. Please recommend.

Thank you!
:cool:
Kyd

P.S.
curr config-
P///700@933 on Abit slot1 mobo, BX6 rev2 and yes !!! Alpha heatsink :)

Last edited:
I own an IS7-E and an IS7-G. I have had more success with the IS7-E from an overclocking standpoint compaired to the IS7-G, at least for my paticular setup. If you are looking for features the IS7-g has more serial ata channels and i also beleive it has gigabit ethernet, compared to the IS7-E.

From what i have read, the AI7 is good, it seems to be very similar the the IS7-E but has more voltage options and allows vdimm voltages up to i believe 3.2v in the bios.

Out of curiosity, what kind of overclock do you hope to obtain? this will make a fairly big impact on what proc and memory you get. Also, how much memory do you want?

Helsyeah,
To your question about the overclock:
Whatever I can get is fine, as long as it is stable. My main goal is to put it together and get it running stable ASAP, overclocking&better cooling will be done later at more convenience. I need to do mainly coding and apps like Photoshop/Flash etc. on this PC, 3d shooters sometimes. I could get Dell or eMachine, but I don't like pre-assembled PCs. I like quality and "open architecture" I get, when I do it on my own.

Please let me know if you can spare anymore thoughts in this.

Appreaciate it!
Kyd

in that case, i would recommend the 2.4c retail processor. the stock heatsink definatly doesnt offer much in the way of cooling for overclocking but it will get you started and its only 148$ at newegg.

for memory, i would definatly recommend at least a gig, and if your 400$ budget is as high as you can really go then look at Corsair value ram, i believe a gig is about 150 to 160 $ right now. If the 400$ can be pushed a bit, then i would recommend looking into the patriot xbl series, with a gig costing around 220$. This memory offers some pretty decent overclocking potential due to the fact it uses samsung TCCD chips.

mobo is up to you, i think you should be happy with the AI7 or any of the IS7's, it probably will come down to what features you wish to have if you are not planning on pushing the extreme envelope of overclocking, at least initially.

ic7 refurb newegg 75.00/80.00
2.4c from the classified here: 110/125.00
a gig of the pdp 2.3.2.5 pc3200 outpost 160.00
enuff cash left to get a good cpu cooler and nb cooler...

Have IS7-2 and love it. There are better boards but this is a great board especialy for the price.

II have IS7, AI7 and IC7 model Abit boards.

For you use (based on what you upgrading to) I would pick the AI7. AI7 has better memory voltage settings to choose from and is less picky with RAM sticks. AI7 is best when running the P4C chips ... its not good a prescotts.

w/2.4c I am running I get 295 FSB 24/7 rock stable. Not everyone can get that speed but even my worse 2.4c chip did 275 :) so I think it’s a good choice for great performance for the cost.

I would get the IC-7 over the MAX III as you will be able to use the P4E chip if you want due to better power regulation.

If you plan on using a P4E chip anytime soon or ever go with the IS7 or IC7.

kyd said:
Guys,

I've been out of the loop for a while, but know need to make a major upgrade (my curr config is slow). I used Abit in the past and liked their mobos. Now, looking for an advice on buying MOBO/CPU/memory. My budget is $400. I read some posts- AI7 is good, what about IS7 and its versions? which is avail in my local PC shop. Please recommend.

Thank you!
:cool:
Kyd

P.S.
curr config-
P///700@933 on Abit slot1 mobo, BX6 rev2 and yes !!! Alpha heatsink :)
I myself like the C-7max2 and max3, I have 2 max2's and one max3 also one
S-7 they all overclock well as far as I am concerned

Back