• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Christmas Upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreenSmoke

My sig has my rig - ya dig? With Christmas coming up, I want to avoid socks and underwear. The gift givers are loaded but I am a "reasonable" person, so just be reasonable also and don't tell me to ask for crazy stuff :)

What would you upgrade or add to make it more awesome? I have no complaints about my current system but things can always be more awesome, right?

I play games like Civ 6, Cities Skylines, Smite, and Hearts of Iron 4. It's nice and quiet, even when gaming and it has no heat issues. QUITE is mandatory.

I have thought about RGB stuff...
I thought about a water cooler....
I thought about more RAM...
I thought about more storage...
I thought about a new case...

Those are all options - if you think that's what you would do, or if you have a better idea, I am all ears (or eyes as the case may be). If you have multiple ideas, hit me with them all.

A better GPU to drive that monitor? M.2/NVMe based storage?

I don't think you 'get' anything out of more RAM, or cooler, etc. a new case will change the look...

depends on what 'awesome' means to you. ;)

I don't know what awesome means to me in this regard. I am hoping someone has something up their sleeve that will entice me :)

The M.2 drive is a good idea.

Grab another 16 GB of RAM if you have a use for it... If gaming is your most demanding task, probably 100% fine with 16 GB though.

You seem to have a solid build. Maybe case \ aesthetics? NVME storage is definitely nice!

Pointless. That has zero effect on real world performance. The GPU is the place to upgrade for sure. For 144 Hz 1440P he should be running a 2080Ti overclocked.
lol... thats the first thing I said (gpu upgrade). He also mentioned he wants "more" storage.... why not get nvme storage? ;)

Personally I have not done real world side by side tests... But in any event, NVME is not a "pointless" upgrade. Gen 3 nvme SSDs can be had for not a whole lot more money than SATA \ m.2 drives, and in benchmarks can be as much as 4 - 6 times as fast. I find it hard to believe that none of that is felt in boot times, loading times, or times when the system is reading or writing to & from multiple places on the same drive at the same time.

It also eliminates a need to even have a drive mounted in your case somewhere, along with eliminating two cables. So beneficial in both form and function.

Even for a supplemental storage upgrade down the road, I feel I am more likely to purchase a second NVME drive for my main system than a SATA SSD. And I'm not an early adopter of anything.

If this were a budget build recommendation here I'd agree with SPL Tech on this, but OP doesn't seem to be too worried about the budget and already has a very capable gaming rig. To be totally clear, the NVME won't likely offer many benefits for gaming alone, but I personally think that it would offer appealing benefits to the system in other areas.

Back