• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cinebench R20 released

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, some PRELIMINARY results and analysis...

Battle of the 6 cores at my house. Each test was run at least 2 times, the first time observing actual core clocks, 2nd time without monitoring software which generally lead to a small increase in score.

With HT/SMT on, stock clock settings.

Ryzen 1600: 2536 (all core clock 3.4 GHz, dual channel 2933 ram, 124.3 points per core per GHz)
Ryzen 2600: 2912 (all core clock 3.8-ish GHz, dual channel 2666 ram, 127.7 points per core per GHz)
i7-8086k: 3390 (all core clock 4.2 GHz, dual channel 3000 ram, 134.5 points per core per GHz)
i7-7800X: 3144 (all core clock 4.0 GHz, quad channel 3000 ram, 131.0 points per core per GHz)

With HT/SMT off

Ryzen 1600: 1994 (97.7 points per core per GHz)
Ryzen 2600: 2276 (99.4 points per core per GHz)
i7-8086k: 2600 (103.2 points per core per GHz)
i7-7800X: 2369 (98.7 points per core per GHz)

Improvement from HT/SMT on vs off

Ryzen 1600: 27%
Ryzen 2600: 30%
i7-8086k: 33%
i7-7800X: 29%

Intel CPUs seem to do a bit better here, but I haven't tested for ram scaling at all yet, so that might be a factor where it wasn't really in R15. Speedup from HT/SMT is in ball park of 30%, so similar to R15. The 8086k seems to do a bit too well compared to the others.

With more time, I'd set systems to run at fixed clock so there is no ambiguity. Also I could try to use the same speed ram in all to help equalise that also.

Perhaps April marathon candidate?:cheers:
I'll clock to the moon(closest moon) and beat everyone!

In time will this be offered on websites other than the Microsoft and Apple stores?

There is a question over OS compatibility, they state a requirement of Win10. Someone tried on another forum to get it working on Win7 but I'm not sure how far they got without looking again.

There is a question over OS compatibility, they state a requirement of Win10. Someone tried on another forum to get it working on Win7 but I'm not sure how far they got without looking again.

Link that Woomack provided says 7/8/10 32bit/64bit compatibility ?

Link that Woomack provided says 7/8/10 32bit/64bit compatibility ?

Link I provided to Maxon directly say Win7-64 and above supported. It might have been MS store where I saw it say Win10 required. I don't have access to store from work so can't check.

Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) @ 3.9 GHz - 3811 :salute:

Cinebench R20 - 3811.jpg

Xeon E5-1620 (4C/8T) @ 4.3 GHz - 1527 :salute:

Cinebench R20 Xeon E5-1620 @ 4.3 GHz.jpg

Last edited:
If it ever gets opened up for HWBot then it'll have to run Win7 which I'm pretty certain it will. I'll DL it when I finish something else and even start a thread for results but I'll also test Win7 have a machine sitting all set up to do so

Here is download from TPU without need to use MS store:
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/maxon-cinebench/

If anyone has time to keep it up to date then we can have a thread with results in CPU section. Anyone is free to start it.

Thanks, Woo. Have they dropped the OpenCL option with CB R20? The link you give is fro the "portable version." Is it not full featured or is OpenCL now considered a dinosaur technology?

Thanks, Woo. Have they dropped the OpenCL option with CB R20? The link you give is fro the "portable version." Is it not full featured or is OpenCL now considered a dinosaur technology?
It's full featured. No Open CL.

My CPU scores were almost 2.5x better with R20 than with R15. Woo hoo!

From the maxon website...

Cinebench R20 uses a much larger and more complex test scene than R15, requiring about 8x the computational power needed to render it. The test also requires about 4x the memory. Therefore, R15 and R20 results cannot be compared.

Cinebench R20 and Cinema 4D R20 incorporate the latest rendering architectures, including integration of Intel’s Embree raytracing technology and advanced features on modern CPUs from AMD and Intel that allow users to render the same scene on the same hardware twice as fast as previously.

Cinebench R20 provides improved benchmark accuracy for current and next-generation CPUs to test if a machine runs stable on a high-CPU load, if the cooling solution of a desktop or notebook is sufficient for longer-running tasks to deliver the full potential of the CPU, and if a machine is able to handle demanding real-life 3D tasks.

Cinebench R20 does not test GPU performance.

Cinebench R20 will not launch on unsupported processors. On systems lacking sufficient RAM to load the test scene, a warning will be displayed and the CPU benchmark will not be executed.

Background tasks can significantly influence measurement and create diverse results. It's always a good idea to shut down all running programs and disable any virus checking or disk indexing but it's impossible to eliminate all background processes. Modern operating systems perform various background tasks that cannot or should not be disabled, even though they could have a minor influence on the results.

Test results can vary slightly because it's impossible to disable every background task of the operating system. These tasks are one factor that may have a slight influence on measurements. Also, modern computers and graphics cards dynamically adjust clock speeds based on environmental conditions like power and temperature. For instance, processors will reduce clock speed when running too hot to allow for cooling and prevent damage. With many modern processors, the reverse is also true. They are able to overclock themselves when the temperature is low enough. Therefore, a system freshly started in a relatively cool environment will typically run faster than the same system that has been performing benchmarks for several hours in a heated office.

Back