• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED End of Firefox might be coming for some of us

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes there was even talked of Google/Microsoft and Mozilla having a unifying approach to this topic.
I solve *all* problems you mention in Firefox by nuking my profile and copy/pasting the backup version of my Profile folder if things slow down, just like re-imaging Windows.
I don't want the browser to give me clean/any user interface - I'd like it to be fully customizable, clean for those who like it, filled with menus and buttons for others.
There is no right/wrong UI, just like there is no right/wrong color for everyone.

There is only: customizable or not?

Here's the resolution of this thread topic:

When Firefox 57 comes out, people need to switch to Firefox ESR https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/?q=English (US)
which will not disable Extensions until June of 2018.

"Add-ons" will actually work in Firefox 55 and 56 still and the yellow LEGACY mark of death can be removed like this:

File [Your User Profile]\CHROME\userContent.css

needs to contain:

/* Disable LEGACY Extensions warning from Firefox 55+ */
.legacy-warning,.legacy-warning-container {
display: none !important;
}

Sorry for the late answer, i tried Firefox and uBlock Origin and you can SORT OF see what you're blocking, so it does the job. Just checked the other thread again, people in that forum are not nice at all are they ?

Vivaldi seems fast but i get graphical corruption only inside the browser if i use the mouse button to scroll ? Maxthon is a mess, fast and stable but the setup and UI is so cluttered with crap i didn't need that i deleted it straight away, plus to use it properly you need to make an account with them (cloud saving). Yandex is... strange, didn't like it but i couldn't quite put my finger on what it was, need more time to "get to know him". Firefox is still sluggish, Chrome is fast and so far i didn't had any memory leaks or anything of the sort but you have the aforementioned privacy issues. I agree with trents, IMO so far Opera is still the best overall of the main browsers.

Last edited:
I and the rest of the Firefox users will be finding all that out, the hard way, in June of 2018 when Mozilla developers lose the few remaining users they have...

As for the other forum... LoL

One psychologist is not enough... A whole team is needed to study that den over there! :D

That's how they do, every time!

Last time around when I figured out how to re-enable people's blocked add-ons in plain English, they systematically deleted my posts, and not until the other day did I find out why:

"... if it was too widely known or findable about how to run unsigned extensions, that the developers of Firefox... would have plugged the hole and made running unsigned even harder. By keeping it more secret, the people who really needed it might find it but without the Firefox developers blocking it... "

Still trying to wrap my head around what that means...

Of course, they just locked my thread, I am surprised they allowed it to be opened this long...

Last edited:
My favorite part is how *every single one of them* wanted to hide how and where do you check on usage statistics as far as what percentage of people are using what version of Firefox.

There apparently is a web site that they think reliably lists that information but they feel like it should be kept a secret... because why? Like I said, one head doctor is not enough to figure that out. :)

It feels good to be on overclockers!

C6, concerning your comment about just staying with FireFox 56 and being more vigilant about malware and viruses, that's not the only issue with using an outdated browser version. Eventually, the coding technology of the Internet changes enough that you won't be able to open some web pages. It will be like trying to use IE 8 today.

Aside from the plugin issue, I keep gravitating back to Opera. Used Chrome for a long time but it gets more and more resource hungry and even with a 7600k/4.8 ghz/16 gb of ram I was noticing lag when viewing certain web pages because of high CPU usage. I reset Chrome to default and it didn't really help. Not having those issues with Opera. It's fast and I like the clean look of the user interface.

Trents,

I'm witnessing that now with Firefox 52.3. When I updated it in Vista64 about 6 weeks ago it installed their 32 bit version and many web sites are inaccessible now with Vista64 (not this one). I do have a Windows 10 machine that's in my sig so no issues. I knew Vista would soon be nearly unusable for the Internet.

Really, updated browsers are enough on WinXP but not on Vista!?
I thought that was just if you use MS IE? Interesting.

When Vista IE9 became unsafe a few years ago I changed to Firefox. Now it appears to be the same for older systems with Firefox and it's no surprise. I can tell you (IMO) that IE in Windows 10 suks big time so I'll more to Firefox there shortly. The Firefox V52. did it so there is no sense upgrading to V56 on this old OS.

Yes, Opera is now Chinese owned, but there isn't anything on Opera that should really justify you not using it, just because it was sold to another owner. It's still as good/bad as before.

Back in the day, IBM was sold to the Chinese and renamed Lenovo as I recall, so was it 'dangerous' to own Lenovo laptops?

Not pushing Opera, not a fan of Opera. But,
based on an educated guess:
Your personal data will be (ab)used less with Opera than with Microsoft Windows 10, which itself is far less abusive with personal data than say, the Google corporation whose entire business model rests on that.

Only issue i came across Opera so far (besides Fair Adblock not working with it but that's just me) is that the VPN is very slow at times, but that's to be expected up to a certain point. Also being Chinese or not has no bearing unless you also have privacy issues for using said VPN since everything goes through their servers. Simply don't use it.

Wondering if anyone used the offshot that came from Opera, the one the original designers made (forgot the name) ?

Wondering if anyone used the offshot that came from Opera, the one the original designers made (forgot the name) ?

Vivaldi? It was developed by the creators of Opera. I installed it last night. I'm going to be busy the next couple days but I'll be trying it out for a while. So far it seems to work well. I haven't tried customizing anything but the appearance so far. The biggest hassle will transferring various passwords, etc. from my usual browser suspects.

Vivaldi? It was developed by the creators of Opera. I installed it last night. I'm going to be busy the next couple days but I'll be trying it out for a while. So far it seems to work well. I haven't tried customizing anything but the appearance so far. The biggest hassle will transferring various passwords, etc. from my usual browser suspects.

Ah it's Vivaldi, tried it already then, graphical corruption when i mouse scroll...

EDIT: found the reason, the default font seems to be corrupted, when i change it works fine.

Last edited:
If you don't care about customizations, then new Firefox will be faster and better and definitely more secure than ever before.
The price they had to pay was nuking all extensions and add-ons [Hence this thread.]
So for me, I would sacrifice faster/better/more secure - just to keep using my profile which I built over 15 years.

But hey, otherwise, if you don't have a Firefox custom profile on your computer and you don't care about customizations - which these other browsers don't give you anyway, well then when the new Firefox matures after version 57, they'll be better than anyone else, if they survive that is.

But that's coming in November. Firefox 57 will enter Beta on Sep 26, 2017 with release date being Nov 14, 2017.

C6,

I haven't used my XP Pro for Internet for a some years when IE7 was the last possible safe update. Since then it was just not safe so I never installed Firefox on that machine. Firefox worked fine on Vista64 until V52.

Well just for your information and nothing else, yes Firefox 52 is the last Windows XP version but there is Firefox ESR, which is meant to be used for people who care about stability more than brand new just out features.
So companies for example use Firefox ESR 52, not regular Firefox.

So until June of 2018, there is a browser based on Firefox 52 with all the updates going through June of 2018, which will work on older OS, this one:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/?q=English (US)

I will switch to it as well in November for use on all my OS. It'll be stable, but updates will expire in June of 2018.

Well just for your information and nothing else, yes Firefox 52 is the last Windows XP version but there is Firefox ESR, which is meant to be used for people who care about stability more than brand new just out features.
So companies for example use Firefox ESR 52, not regular Firefox.

So until June of 2018, there is a browser based on Firefox 52 with all the updates going through June of 2018, which will work on older OS, this one:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/?q=English (US)

I will switch to it as well in November for use on all my OS. It'll be stable, but updates will expire in June of 2018.

Will lost access Internet sites return? Ghostery and Adblock still work OK and that's about all I use on the Vista machine.

I look forward to installing it on my bedroom WinXP machines to find out, maybe you can test on Vista and report back since that would be useful info as far as support for Vista goes.

Let's have a race... whoever completes the Overclockers.com brand WebBrowser first post it in this thread :D

Oddly I havent gotten this update yet, even the about screen says v54 is the latest version

Back