• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Class action lawsuit against Creative?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

disk11

I just got this email

Subject: Notice of Creative Hard Disc Drive MP3 Player Class Action and Proposed Settlement

SUMMARY EMAIL NOTICE

If you purchased in the United States between May 5, 2001 and April 30, 2008 from a retail store in the United States (including Creative's and others' on-line retail stores) a new Creative brand hard disc drive MP3 player (“Creative HDD MP3 Player”), a proposed class action settlement may affect you. A hearing has been scheduled in United States District Court, Central District of California to approve the settlement. Under the settlement, you may have the right to make a claim for a discounted MP3 player or a discount certificate. You also may choose to exclude yourself from the settlement. Alternatively, you may file written objections to the settlement or seek to intervene and appear (or have your own attorney appear) at the court hearing. If the settlement is approved and you do not exclude yourself, you give up the right to sue for the claims the settlement resolves, and you will be bound by the terms of the settlement. To learn more about or exercise any of your rights, please read below and visit www.creativehddmp3settlement.com.

The lawsuit is Talwar v. Creative Labs, Inc., United States District Court, Central District of California, Case No. CV 05 3375 FMC. In the suit, plaintiffs allege that in the sale and marketing of its hard disc drive MP3 players Creative stated that purchasers of the drives would receive approximately 7% more usable storage capacity than they actually received and misrepresented the number of songs and number of hours of music the players could hold. Creative has denied and continues to deny each and all of plaintiffs’ claims, and denies that anyone has been harmed or deserves compensation. The Court has not made a decision on the merits.

You are a member of the plaintiff class if you purchased in the United States between May 5, 2001 and April 30, 2008 from a retail store in the United States (including Creative's and others' on-line retail stores) a new Creative brand hard disc drive MP3 player.

As part of the settlement, Creative will make certain disclosures regarding the storage capacity of its hard disc drive MP3 players.

In addition, if you submit a valid claim, you will receive either a 50% discount off the price of a new 1 GB MP3 player, or a discount certificate good for 20% off the price of any single item purchased at www.us.creative.com. To receive the discount player or discount certificate you must submit a claim form available at www.creativehddmp3settlement.com by August 7, 2008. You may submit a claim for each Creative HDD MP3 Player you purchased.

If the settlement is approved, plaintiffs’ counsel will apply for an award of attorneys’ fees and expenses not to exceed $900,000, plus incentive awards for the two representative plaintiffs in the amount of $5,000 each, to be paid separately from and in addition to the relief available to plaintiff class members.

All claims of plaintiff class members which were or could have been asserted in the litigation, based upon the facts alleged in the litigation will be released. This means that if you do not exclude yourself from the plaintiff class, you will give up the right to sue for the claims the settlement resolves, and you will be bound by the terms of the settlement.

You need not take any action. If you wish to exclude yourself from the plaintiff class, you must submit an exclusion request to plaintiffs’ counsel: Brian R. Strange/Gretchen Carpenter, Strange & Carpenter, 12100 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 1900, Los Angeles, CA 90025. If you exclude yourself, you will not receive the benefits of the settlement, and you cannot object to the settlement or intervene.

If you wish to object to the settlement, intervene or appear (or have your own attorney appear) at the hearing, you must file your objection with the Court and serve it on the parties’ counsel, as follows: Brian R. Strange/Gretchen Carpenter, Strange & Carpenter, 12100 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 1900, Los Angeles, CA 90025 (counsel for plaintiff); and Daniel K. Slaughter, Stein & Lubin LLP, 600 Montgomery Street, 14th floor, San Francisco, CA 94111 (counsel for Creative). To exclude yourself, object or request to intervene, you must follow the detailed instructions set forth in the Long Form Notice at www.creativehddmp3settlement.com.

All objections, requests to intervene and requests for exclusion must be received by June 9, 2008.

DO NOT CONTACT THE COURT OR CREATIVE CONCERNING THIS NOTICE OR THIS LAWSUIT. If you would like more information about this notice or this case, please visit www.creativehddmp3settlement.com. If you do not have internet access, you may request additional information by mail from counsel for plaintiff, as set forth above.

My Google-fu brings up nothing, so my BS detector is going off. Could anyone shed some light on this? I couldn't personally care about collecting anything should it be real, but if it is a scam I figure spreading the word is a good thing.

Funny you mentioned this because my sound card just died today. and the kicker is it's a soundblaster live Z series card with the front panel. Go figure.

I got that email too, I think it's BS. Even if it isn't BS... not worth any settlements. Creative MP3 players are awesome.

This is just another one of those whiny "My hard drive says it'll be xx size, but it's actually a small fraction less than that!" suits. Same as what Seagate got slapped with a few months back. Ridiculous... I know most consumers don't know why this difference in capacity exists, but it's not because of some nefarious rip-off scheme by hard drive makers.

Next someone will be sueing Apple because their 80GB ipod only gives them 78.9GB of storage...

This is just another one of those whiny "My hard drive says it'll be xx size, but it's actually a small fraction less than that!" suits. Same as what Seagate got slapped with a few months back. Ridiculous... I know most consumers don't know why this difference in capacity exists, but it's not because of some nefarious rip-off scheme by hard drive makers.

Next someone will be sueing Apple because their 80GB ipod only gives them 78.9GB of storage...

A gigabyte is a gigabyte is a gigabyte. Not this gibibyte crap.

I could do with an extra 52 gigabytes of storage space on my so-called 750 gigabyte hard disk. When the size discrepancy between advertised and real space is the equivalent of an entry-level hard disk, it's only human to be ****ed.

the problem is that giga == 1000 mega == 1000 kilo == 1000.
Thats what the words mean. In computers
gigabyte == 1024 megabytes == 1024 kilobytes == 1024 bytes.
So it is only fair that there is confusion of the issue. Add in formatting loss and the like and it does add up.

I agree, garbage lawsuit.

FWIW, the only problem I have with my 40GB Zen Touch is the only program that I can access the files with is the Explorer program on the orginal CD, the new one and every Linux app I've used can't access it:mad:

So who is at fault here.... the computer/os manufactures for using base two math, or the hard drive manufactures for using base 10 math? :D

Oh and for what its worth that looks fake to me ;)

So who is at fault here.... the computer/os manufactures for using base two math, or the hard drive manufactures for using base 10 math? :D

Actually, if you were using computers as long as I have, you would know that the base 10 crap was progressively adopted by hardware manufacturers. There was a time when buying Maxtor hard disks would give you significantly more space than a Western Digital, since Maxtor started counting base 10 at the KB level, while WD started counting base 10 at the byte level. On a 120gb hard disk, that was 6 gigs of additional space.

It's simply a matter of the downsizing trend of all consumer products. Like how half gallon orange juice is now only 1.75 quarts.

Yeah, if it's not BS, it should be... The lawsuits like this are so ignorant and just represent a no-life founder of its Plaintiff party in a case like this.

I still hate Creative because of their previous decision...

It may be a real case, but I doubt it would get anywhere. If any of these things were successful, all the major storage manufacturers would have went out of business long ago (OH NOES, MY 500GB HDD IS MISSING 35GB OF STORAGE EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT BECAUSE THEY USE A DIFFERENT SYSTEM THEN OS MANUFACTURERS, IM GONNA SUE SEAGATE LOLZ) (Yes I believe the capslock key was necessary)

It may be a real case, but I doubt it would get anywhere. If any of these things were successful, all the major storage manufacturers would have went out of business long ago

Or maybe we might have gotten real 500gb hard drives? Just a thought.

It may be a real case, but I doubt it would get anywhere. If any of these things were successful, all the major storage manufacturers would have went out of business long ago (OH NOES, MY 500GB HDD IS MISSING 35GB OF STORAGE EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT BECAUSE THEY USE A DIFFERENT SYSTEM THEN OS MANUFACTURERS, IM GONNA SUE SEAGATE LOLZ) (Yes I believe the capslock key was necessary)

So it's okay for marketing departments to defraud you?

How about, memory manufacturers starting to say that 1GB = one thousand megabytes?

I would suddenly be quite unhappy.

How about, memory manufacturers starting to say that 1GB = one thousand megabytes?

No, I'm saying it makes more sense that computers use a base2 counting system since binary is base2 while it makes sense that companies use base10 so its easier for people to understand. And even then on the last few hard drives I bought on the box it would even say "1gb=1000mb, 1mb=1000kb, 1kb=1000b, your formatted capacity MAY BE LESS"

No, I'm saying it makes more sense that computers use a base2 counting system since binary is base2 while it makes sense that companies use base10 so its easier for people to understand. And even then on the last few hard drives I bought on the box it would even say "1gb=1000mb, 1mb=1000kb, 1kb=1000b, your formatted capacity MAY BE LESS"

GB has never equaled 1000 mbyte; mbyte has never equaled 1000 kbyte, and kbyte has simply never equaled 1000 bytes, as far as I or the software are concerned. Truth-in-advertising please.

The recent invention of the symbols "GiB", "MiB", "KiB", ... are misleading and confusing for consumers. The size of giga- mega- tera- ... and kilo- bytes should be fixed in units of 1024, because that's how the software sees it.

GB has never equaled 1000 mbyte; mbyte has never equaled 1000 kbyte, and kbyte has simply never equaled 1000 bytes, as far as I or the software are concerned. Truth-in-advertising please.

The recent invention of the symbols "GiB", "MiB", "KiB", ... are misleading and confusing for consumers. The size of giga- mega- tera- ... and kilo- bytes should be fixed in units of 1024, because that's how the software sees it.

I can't argue with that, just saying that the only way this lawsuit makes sense would be false advertising. And I just checked a few players on the creative website and most of them do say at the bottom that the capacity is less and will vary (don't know which model the email is talking about, but this one has a footnote saying it will be less). I don't exactly know how it works if that's considered misleading though.

As I have said earlier in this thread, in the old days manufacturers usually used base 2 counting. Then they started to count base 10 at the kilobyte level, and then they started counting base 10 from the byte level. It did not happen overnight but in stages.

I'm not making this up. I have 2 "120gb" drives, a Maxtor and a WD. The Maxtor has 117gb, while the WD only has 111gb.

Is 6gb a significant difference? Hell yeah.

It is only human to be angered by increasingly false advertising.

Back