• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning a block?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cjwinnit

B&
Hey all. Have bought a second-hand graphics card waterblock for peanuts (I'm a "performance on a shoestring" guy) but it's a bit dirty with a copper bottom and a clear plexi top.

1/ Is it worth stripping down to clean? It looks a bit unsightly - would it be better just to rinse it out? (rather than have This happen!)

2/ If stripping down and scrubbing, are there any common cleaning compounds that work well on copper/plexi?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey all. Have bought a second-hand graphics card waterblock for peanuts (I'm a "performance on a shoestring" guy) but it's a bit dirty with a copper bottom and a clear plexi top.

1/ Is it worth stripping down to clean? It looks a bit unsightly - would it be better just to rinse it out? (rather than have This happen!)

2/ If stripping down and scrubbing, are there any common cleaning compounds that work well on copper/plexi?

Thanks.

Since you already found tony_italia's thread you also found the gasket fix just in case you need it.

Absolutely clean the water block, and ketchup cleans copper very well just leave it on the copper for a while to get it really clean, and it may need to be done more than once if it is really bad, and make sure the cooling fins in the block are clear of any debri. You can clean the plexi with Dawn dish washing liquid, just be sure once finished you thoroughly wash the ketchup,and Dawn away before reassembling the block.

The situation you are in right now, is the perfect time to clean the block!

i would soak the block in vinegar for few hours then brush it with some toothbrush , it will come clean as a new , for plexi i use toothpaste and brush it should come like a new too ,

i would soak the block in vinegar for few hours then brush it with some toothbrush , it will come clean as a new , for plexi i use toothpaste and brush it should come like a new too ,

You can add table salt to the vinegar to accelerate it's cleaning ability, just don't be breathing what's coming off of the mixture.

And be sure to thoroughly rinse it clean.

Last edited:
Back