• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning old TIM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

I've used the "ArctiClean" stuff for a while now, but I keep running out of the "number 1" bottle way before the second one runs out. Is there something readily available that could be used in its place? It seems to be some sort of orange scented cleaner/degreaser, readily available.

I assume the second bottle is probably 99% isopropyl alcohol. Also readily available.

Am I way off on this or should I should just order another kit?

I use paper towels first, get the bulk of it off just with wiping (paper is mildly abrasive), then use a clean paper towel with a couple of drops of isopropyl alcohol to get off the rest. Only once have I had to use anything more harsh, acetone (nail polish remover). Never had to go to next level stuff like Goo-B-Gone, brake cleaner or such.

I've used acetone for years with a paper towel. If cleaning a small area like the chipset, I'll wet the tip of a Q-Tip with acetone and use that instead of a paper towel.

I use 90% alcohol with a supply of coffee filters. They don't produce lint. But after I have cleaned it all off, I use the Arctic Clean products. After all, I have reviews to do.

I've used the "ArctiClean" stuff for a while now, but I keep running out of the "number 1" bottle way before the second one runs out. Is there something readily available that could be used in its place? It seems to be some sort of orange scented cleaner/degreaser, readily available.

I assume the second bottle is probably 99% isopropyl alcohol. Also readily available.

Am I way off on this or should I should just order another kit?

Story of my life. I've been through two kits already only because of the first bottle as well. :bang head If they can sell them separately in bigger sizes would make things easier. Yeah, I'd just grab another kit.

Back