• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning on a Budget! (PICTURES)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hexen

Well well, howdy! Have you ever been on a tight budget? Just haven't got that extra cash to get some air in a can and clean those nasty fans/case of yours?... Well I found a solution to the tight budgeted!

Since my money is limited also, I don't have $4-$5 to just go and blow on a single can of air that limits me to one or two uses... So I sat here thinking to myself... "Why do I need air? Why not just use a brush!"

So I went out to my local Dollar General (it's like a little Mini Wal-Mart... Very Mini. But they got alot of stuff!) And picked me up a painters brush for a buck! Now I was set, I know I needed to do it, and it was going to get done! Follow below for my detailed (somewhat) cleaning solution pictures!

*The Victim...*
MyPrey.JPG

Wow, check out those 1337 cable skeelz I got! Zip ties baby, YEAH!

*The Exhaust Fan*
ExhaustWorks.JPG

Well, you can tell it works! Man, that looks like my dog got yanked up in there...

*The CPU Fan... Warning! HIDEOUS!*
CPUHeater.JPG

Yeah, no wonder my temps were up there! It's not blowing air, it's just not blowing!

*Did I mention the EXHAUST GRILL?!!*
NastyGrill.JPG

Hmm... I'll let you decide on that one!

*And most of all, the tool!*
TheBrush.JPG

Now that bugger's tough for a buck! And well, yeah, it's a buck.

*And the end results of my hard labor (15 minutes.)*
Proof.jpg

Now you may be saying "So what? They're still high."... Well let me tell you something bubba gump!

The temps before were 45°C CPU & 41°C Case! So for only a whole dollar, and a little time it's not so bad! And I only have STOCK cooling (Compaq, go figure eh?) on this block of crap. And I say for it to be stock, that's not so bad!

And I'm sorry about the picture clarity/size. Cheap camera and I shrunk them as much as possible. And I didn't include detailed pictures of them all being clean because that would be just too much to load on a single post.

But you get the idea! And the "How To" is pretty simple, take a brush to it for about a minute and get everything you can out and then slap it back in! I hope everyone has enjoyed this, and hopefully get some use out of it.

Thanks everyone, have a good one!

Very nice, I usually just steal a few q-tips from my mom and get down and dirty and get every partical of dust I can see. I usually get 3 or 4 degree (f) and like 2 or 4 CFM form it.

It's a rental block, I got it used. And it's about a year old... So yeah, imagine the neglect over a years time by people who rent it and return it.

It's a rental, so I'm not putting **** on it or modding anything to it. I might change out the fans if I can find them reasonable enough so that it won't be such a loss when I turn it back in later. But other than that, it's going to stay pretty much stock.

Look in the phone book for a "Rent A Center" or maybe a "Home Choice". And yes, you can rent them. They're a bit on the hefty side, anywhere from $25.00 to $45.00 a week. But if you just blew up your rig, and need internet access on the snap. They're the way to go, unfortunately this thing IS my rig... Since I never have enough money to even buy a $15 keyboard, I'm gonna be pretty much screwed for a while...

Thanks for the replies everyone!

u can tell he doesnt get hard core with it hehe, dont think my rig has been running long enough at once to let that happen! hah

i use a small air compressor for cleaning stuff mostly r/c cars and computers...

it has a small tank so i can bring it with me places...

but its just way cheaper then buying cans...

or you save up some money and get a little plug in air compresssor
u can prolly get 1 for 70-100$ u.s. at home depot
not too bad and you never have to go to the store and spend 4-5 dollars on a CAN OF AIR

~Magick_Man~

Back