• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CM Hyper 212 EVO too big?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tank Geek

Hi folks, I just built my rig and the 212 is too big to put the fan in a push format. I had to put the fan on the other side as pull. The reason is it won't fit because my RAM is in the way. Maybe it's just on the Asrock Extreme 4? Will pull be as effective as push? If not do you know of a CPU cooler that will fit with the RAM? Thanks:comp:

Can you raise the fan a bit to clear it? Maybe grind the fan?

It's very common, and I mean a lot. Mobo spacing is different and many rams have the magic fangs (yes FANGS) on top that look good but don't make any diff in ram ability. Lots like the early 60's cars with the big fins.

Get creative, fans can be ground with a dremel or a chainsaw. Mora POWA! Post pics if you use a chansaw.

Like Conumdrum said you can raise the fan up a little, I did the same with my 212+ over my Vengeance Memory. You can also go the chainsaw route :)

Kenny I believe the Gskill Ripjaws would fit. They are 40mm tall the Tridents are 54mm

Kenny I believe the Gskill Ripjaws would fit. They are 40mm tall the Tridents are 54mm

Mandrake, thanks for the info. How did you find that info? I looked at the details tab on NewEgg and did not see dimensions. Also, the RAM config I have currently is A1,B1, which is slot 1 and 3. It is the A1 slot that is in the way of the fan. Could I move the RAM to A2 and B2 which is slot 2 and 4? I think I can, if I did I just wouldn't be able to populate slots 1 and 3. But I read a lot that I don't need or want more than 8 GB of RAM when I OC. Sorry if this seems like a rookie question but this is my first build.

Yes according to the Asrock Manual you can put them in A2 and B2

2.5 Installation of Memory Modules (DIMM)
This motherboard provides four 240-pin DDR3 (Double Data Rate 3) DIMM
slots, and supports Dual Channel Memory Technology. For dual channel confi
guration, you always need to install identical (the same brand, speed, size
and chip-type) DDR3 DIMM pair in the slots: You have to install identical
DDR3 DIMMs in Dual Channel A (DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1; Black slots; see p.2
No. 6) or identical DDR3 DIMMs in Dual Channel B (DDR3_A2 and DDR3_
B2; Black slots; see p.2 No. 7), so that Dual Channel Memory Technology can
be activated. This motherboard also allows you to install four DDR3 DIMMs
for dual channel confi guration, please install identical DDR3 DIMMs in all four
slots.

1. If you want to install two memory modules, for optimal compatibility
and reliability, it is recommended to install them in the slots: DDR3_
A1 and DDR3_B1, or DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2.
2. If only one memory module or three memory module

Yes according to the Asrock Manual you can put them in A2 and B2

2.5 Installation of Memory Modules (DIMM)
This motherboard provides four 240-pin DDR3 (Double Data Rate 3) DIMM
slots, and supports Dual Channel Memory Technology. For dual channel confi
guration, you always need to install identical (the same brand, speed, size
and chip-type) DDR3 DIMM pair in the slots: You have to install identical
DDR3 DIMMs in Dual Channel A (DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1; Black slots; see p.2
No. 6) or identical DDR3 DIMMs in Dual Channel B (DDR3_A2 and DDR3_
B2; Black slots; see p.2 No. 7), so that Dual Channel Memory Technology can
be activated. This motherboard also allows you to install four DDR3 DIMMs
for dual channel confi guration, please install identical DDR3 DIMMs in all four
slots.

1. If you want to install two memory modules, for optimal compatibility
and reliability, it is recommended to install them in the slots: DDR3_
A1 and DDR3_B1, or DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2.
2. If only one memory module or three memory module

Mandrake, Thank you for the info! I feel pretty dumb now. I should have looked in my Mobo book. Thanks again.:salute:

Sometimes as we get older we seem to miss the most obvious things. It happens to me all the time.

Back