• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CM V8 or Corsair H60

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ColbyM

Registered
I am looking for a cooling solution for my new gaming rig. I have an Intel Core i5 3570 (not K model) in a Cooler Master Storm Scout. I am having a really hard time deciding between the Cooler Master V8 air cooler and the Corsair Hydro Series H60. They both seem to do what I need and both would look good in my case but I have concerns about both. First, if I got the H60 is it required that I put the rad fan on the back of the case and have to move the fan that is already there or can I mount the rad on the top? Second, if I got the V8, is it really heavy or have the possibility of damaging the motherboard when I carry the computer around (I take it with me sometimes, which is the main reason I got the Scout. Also because it looks awesome)? I am mostly leaning towards the V8 because I like the way it looks and I wouldn't have to move the rear exhaust fan, but as stated before I'm concerned about the weight.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Doesn't really go with the overall look of my build. I have mostly black components and red case LEDs. Thanks for the suggestion though!

The H60 isn't that good and the V8 is about the same. You really need neither. In fact the stock cooling should be perfectly fine. The V8 is a huge silly looking think that's more for eye candy than cooling.

The H80 or H100 (hint) can go in either place. You umm have to remove the fan that's already back there to install the H80. If your case has the room up top, the H100 is nice.

But you need neither, your not overclocking.

How deep is your case? 8" deep? If so and you do want aftermarket cooling, get the
Coolermaster Hyper EVO. Cheap, good quality and we recommend it all the time. In fact I just built a 3570k rig with one. Silent, efficient, not hard to install at all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

If I was just buying mostly based on looks, would the H60/V8/V6 give me at least equal performance as stock? As was pointed out I won't be doing much (if any) overclocking. I just really want a good looking cooler. Also my concern about the weight of the V8 hasn't been addressed.
As stubborn/idiotic as I probably seem just wanting to buy based on looks, I really do appreciate you all kindly replying with great suggestions! :D

When you look into the case you will se a full red fan from the top glowing and spinning. Impressive if you like the lights.

The V8 is heavy, it's big. No it won't hurt your PC unless you drop the PC on the floor.

It's no heavier than the better top notch coolers that have more heatpipes and fins for better cooling.

Already gave links. A top-down style cooler is like the tower in inverted. Add a red LED fan and you won't see the heatsink at all, just a red LED fan facing you. Looks cleaner, IMO.

Wow that looks nice, actually. So I would replace the fan on the heatsink with the red LED fan, correct?

Yup. :). Fan is just a 120mm red LED Yate Loon. Many places sell them, make sure you get one with open corners.

Back