• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cold Boot - FX-6350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brokenhonor13

I just recently.. basically rebuilt my computer. I had liquid cooling which had leaked all of the place. I ended up getting a new MoBo and CPU and along with various other things. ANYWAY! I got a GA990FXA-UD3 rev 4.0 and an AMD FX-6350 and had just recently overclocked it to 4.3 at 1.4v. The question I am asking is. every time I turn on my computer it hangs for about 3 seconds and then powers on. Also when I restart my computer it completely shuts off for about 3 seconds and then powers back on. Is this normal? or have I done something wrong? :shrug: If you need anymore computer information please let me know. Ill try my best to get what you know.

Thanks.

I'm curious as to your PSU.? It would help if you could attach a list of your parts in a signature like you see mine listed. At the top of the page you'll see a heading called quick links. If you clck on that you'll get a drop down and one of the options is edit sig.

I have tried googling the issue, but have only found little to none information on it. I ran prime 95 for almost 4 hours and everything ran nice and stable. The temps didnt even go passed 52c. with an average of probably about 47c. I put the bclk to 205mhz the multiplier is set to 21x and vcore to 1.4. I didnt touch anything else except to turn off the recommended cool and quiet, turbo boost, etc.

"Brokenhonor13", "zebodog" has had the Rev 3.0 of that mobo and says his R3.0 did that with an FX-8350 in it but not with a Deneb processor, so maybe it is a board quirk.

We have been thru users with the Rev 3.0 that gave issues and would not recommend one to our friends. Now they have moved onto the UD3 Rev.4.0 and you are the first one to come into this forum section with one. We can only really guess at what might be the reason your R4.0 board acts like it does.

I would return to stock settings and see if the board continues to act that way. If it does not do so at stock speed settings, I would see if there is a Gigabyte forum where many Gigabyte users are located and ask my question in that forum for maybe some others with the same situation and board. Or contact Giga support and ask them.

A few years ago there were some Intel motherboards that did similar but not quite like what you describe and bioses had to be changed to work around an Intel design spec just to make the users happier. But the boards actually were following the Intel cpu spec but bothered users. Whether or not the swap to a digital VRM section has caused Giga to do something odd is completely unknown to us here that have only just now even seen a user with the UD3 Rev 4.0.
RGone...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1023100/official-gigabyte-ga-990fxa-series-owners-thread-club/7170

System
FX-6300 Corsair H60 cooling
990FXA-UD3 rev 4.0 F2 bios dated 7/15/2013
So, with those settings it was doing a strange, start up, then turn off, then start back up and boot. I set the bios to default settings and it fixed that issue. However, with stock settings I wanted to test out what is going on with this motherboard/cpu. Right now at stock bios settings and prime95 running this is what I'm seeing...

There is a long thread about the Giga 990FXA series of boards at OCN. The link above is into page #718 of that long thread and that user says overclocked his board seems to do what yours does but when he removed the overclock the board no longer acted strangely at boot.

EDIT:
By the way that long thread is now out to 791 pages as of right now. So at page 718 which is linked above, there are already a lot more pages there related to the Rev 4.0 boards and some of it is odd with heat issues etc.
END EDIT.
RGone...

Well well well.. After reading various posts at other sites especially the one you sent me RGone, I found that after tweaking with the bios that the 'core performance boost' disabled is causing the boot issues. If I mess with the multipliers while it is enabled it boots normally.. when I disable it and then use the multis. it boots with the on off on boot.

'core performance boost'

Well that is just crap. When overclocking we normally turn off TurboCore which is what Core Performance Boost seems to refer to in the description of it. Turned off though you seem to have an odd booting situation. Live with it I guess if you want to turn of TurboCore, which most of us do when overclocking.
RGone...ster.

Well that is just crap. When overclocking we normally turn off TurboCore which is what Core Performance Boost seems to refer to in the description of it. Turned off though you seem to have an odd booting situation. Live with it I guess if you want to turn of TurboCore, which most of us do when overclocking.
RGone...ster.
Do you think I would be alright if I had left the boost on but set the boost CPB ratio to 4.3 the same as the CPU ratio overclock? Nevermind... I cant even do that without the boot issue reoccurring. Well then.. it seems I may be at an impasse.

I have run OC'd in the past with the Turbo function on and never did see any difference. As to settings for your board??

Well it seems with CPB on with the ratio set to that of the OC ratio it is running stable.. so far. Here is a pic of it. Untitled_zps7a97ee35.png

As far as bios settings go.. I kept everything at stock which is:
FSB: 205mhz (200mhz stock)
CPU NB FREQ: 2200 - auto
HTLINK FREQ: 2600 - auto

CPU CLOCK RATIO: 21.00 - 4.30ghz (19.50 stock)
EMP: Disabled
SMM: 8.00 - auto
1600mhz - 1640mhz

Core performance boost: auto
CPB RATIO: 21.00 (same as CPU Ratio)
CPU UNLOCK: disabled
CnQ: disabled
C1E support: disabled
SVM: disabled
CPU Core control: auto
Core C6 state: disabled
HPC mode: enabled (wasnt sure if I should leave it on disabled or have it enabled.)
APM: Disabled

CPU Vcore: 1.4v (stock is 1.375)

Everything else below is stock at auto.
NB core: 1.1625 - auto
DRAM Voltage: 1.5 - auto
HTLINK Voltage: 1.2 - auto
NB/PCIe/PLL Voltage: 1.8 - auto
CPU PLL Voltage: 2.5 - auto
NB Voltage: 1.1 - auto
Vcore Loadline Calib: +100% - Auto

Also, I left CPB on but changed the ratio to 4.3 same as the OC of 4.3 on the CPU ratio. Its seems stable.. and the boot issue is gone.

Last edited:
Well it seems with CPB on with the ratio set to that of the OC ratio it is running stable.. so far. Here is a pic of it. Untitled_zps7a97ee35.png

As far as bios settings go.. I kept everything at stock which is:
FSB: 205mhz (200mhz stock)
CPU NB FREQ: 2200 - auto
HTLINK FREQ: 2600 - auto

CPU CLOCK RATIO: 21.00 - 4.30ghz (19.50 stock)
EMP: Disabled
SMM: 8.00 - auto
1600mhz - 1640mhz

Core performance boost: auto
CPB RATIO: 21.00 (same as CPU Ratio)
CPU UNLOCK: disabled
CnQ: disabled
C1E support: disabled
SVM: disabled
CPU Core control: auto
Core C6 state: disabled
HPC mode: enabled (wasnt sure if I should leave it on disabled or have it enabled.)
APM: Disabled

CPU Vcore: 1.4v (stock is 1.375)

Everything else below is stock at auto.
NB core: 1.1625 - auto
DRAM Voltage: 1.5 - auto
HTLINK Voltage: 1.2 - auto
NB/PCIe/PLL Voltage: 1.8 - auto
CPU PLL Voltage: 2.5 - auto
NB Voltage: 1.1 - auto
Vcore Loadline Calib: +100% - Auto

Also, I left CPB on but changed the ratio to 4.3 same as the OC of 4.3 on the CPU ratio. Its seems stable.. and the boot issue is gone.

nice find! i too have been plagued with cold boot issues thinking it was a voltage/dram ratio black hole issue issue. usually happens when the system has been under some load for like an hour, then either a restart will bomb out or after some runtime or load for an hour or so then shutdown, unplug, discharge, wait some time and then a cold boot will also bomb out.

initial looks good. will keep monitoring...

CPU: FX-8350
Mobo: Crosshair V Formula; latest and last BIOS.
Settings: Turbo Core On, Turbo Multiplier set the same as CPU manual ratio, offset Vcore in use (so Turbo core will never engage and CnQ can work), CnQ and related on, HPC Master Mode off so the CPU will down clock as needed and APM Off so the CPU won't throttle.

Back