• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comcast to start Bandwidth Caps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiggity

ISP giant Comcast announced an official, 250 GB usage cap for its subscribers Thursday, which it plans to deploy October 1.

"250 GB/month is an extremely large amount of data," reads its official release, "much more than a typical residential customer uses on a monthly basis."

The "median" usage per customer is within 2 - 3 gigabytes per month, says Comcast. In order to exceed the data cap, a customer would have to send more than 50 million e-mails, download more than 62,000 songs, or watch more than 125 standard-definition, 2 GB movies per month.

Comcast's new policy on data consumption appears to be just a part of an overall initiative to reshape the way customers use its network. Last week the company announced its "fair share" program, which is designed to throttle a customers' connection when they consume too much bandwidth. Rumors of a bandwidth cap had been in circulation for quite some time -- Comcast, AT&T, and Time Warner were reported to be experimenting with the concept -- but the actual thresholds implemented proved to be much higher than predicted.

With the increasing popularity of internet-based video and software distribution, ISPs throughout the world are finding ways to curb customers' internet usage. While data caps are commonplace outside the United States, publicly-announced limits are incredibly rare among the U.S.' largest ISPs. Particularly egregious users have run into invisible limits, however, and a handful of heavy downloaders have seen up to a year's suspension of service due to crossing the company's "invisible line in the sand" despite paying for service advertised as unlimited.

Curiously, the announcement hints that the invisible threshold may have been 250 GB all along. "This is the same system we have in place today," says the announcement. "The only difference is that we will now provide a limit by which a customer may be contacted. As part of our pre-existing policy, we will continue to contact the top users of our high-speed Internet service and ask them to curb their usage."

AT&T Wireless users who exceeded an invisible 5gb quota -- a lot, considering that the network is designed for PDAs and Smartphones -- quickly learned of similar sanctions last year.

Subscribers who exceed their quota "may be contacted by Comcast to notify them of excessive use."

"At that time, we'll tell them exactly how much data per month they had used. We know from experience the vast majority of customers we ask to curb usage do so voluntarily," reads the release. Customers will be notified of the change through banner ads posted on the Comcast.net home page, as well as flyers to be included in upcoming billing statements.

A previous attempt to curb subscribers' usage, which ended up selectively meddling in a few different types of internet traffic -- BitTorrent, namely -- attracted the ire of the Federal Communications Commission due to a "discriminatory" preference against certain kinds of data. After almost a year of this, Comcast answered the FCC's demands with a handful of new programs designed to clamp down on excessive usage regardless of the protocols involved.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=12812

I want to know who pays 50$ a month to download 2-3GB, and that is only 'median' customers. 250GB for an active internet using family like mine is an utter joke. Comcast is going to get an earful on this one and will probably end up removing this cap I think.

Ridiculous.

16mbps download speed. Means solid downloading reaches your cap in under a day and a half :p

If they would just drop analog television they could have a HUGE boost in accessible bandwidth.

I was interested in this and called Comcast. Basically, they cannot tell you how much your current/past bandwidth usage is. All they will do is read the announcement in the first post says back to you. They Googled some bandwidth monitoring programs for me so that I could monitor the usage myself (which is great if we have many computers :rolleyes: ). To top that off, if you go over on your bandwidth allotment for the month and provide them with "proof" that you did not, using the monitors that I was recommended, you're still up the creek because they are only estimates and are considered unreliable.

This is a concern for me. 250GB a month is alot, I'll admit. However, I don't have cable TV. I use Netflix (I burn up the Watch Now), I have four Media Centers that use IPTV plugins, upload tons of pictures and videos (my sons are two of three grandchildren and my parents are 8 hours away) and we have the Comcast digital voice (which I would bet my service is included in that bandwidth).

I'll monitor my bandwidth for a couple of weeks, beginning on the 1st. If I'm close, I'm going to DSL (AT&T being the only other provider available).

Uhhh... 250GB a month is 8GB a day.

I'm a developer who works from home. I've got every reason in the world to be concerned with a Comcast bandwidth cap (they are the only broadband provider available to me) and I don't stress about a daily 8GB average at all.

I would have to try pretty hard to exceed averaging 8GB a day. I suppose if I planned to download 30 8GB DVDs in a given month I might be in a pinch....

I think this is completely reasonable. Quantify what I am paying for and don't throttle it. If Comcast does that, I'm a happy customer.

Cox is going to follow suite very soon I would imagine. I'm glad in a neighboring parish and (beginning this year) the introduction of widespread residential application of fiber for our city we'll have the option of half the price for double the bandwidth.

Naturally, since Cox refuses to compete, they took it to the legal system.... and were essentially laughed out of the courtroom.

This has bad news written all over it. I use about ~150gb a month, but it fluctuates.

If they would invest in the infrastructure the US as a whole wouldnt fall further and further behind the rest of the world.

FIOS doesnt have awesome speeds solely due to their smaller base.

when the whole block, or even yours + the next 10 or so are on the same splitter, yeah, it tends to suck the life outa your cable line

comcast is all about the $, nothing more, nothing less. its awesome when you get -4 loss on your main line coming into your house when you're the first person on your block :) (but this is time warner, a.k.a. comcast )

when the whole block, or even yours + the next 10 or so are on the same splitter, yeah, it tends to suck the life outa your cable line

comcast is all about the $, nothing more, nothing less. its awesome when you get -4 loss on your main line coming into your house when you're the first person on your block :) (but this is time warner, a.k.a. comcast )

Ha I had mine tested and i had a -14 signal loss but was told it ok as long as it is over -15 it would work ok!!!!!!!!!!! I had them put in a signal booster and that got me to 2 or 3 i can't remember. and wow the tv menu work alot faster after the booster was installed!!!!! but the cable speed never went up:-/

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=12812

I want to know who pays 50$ a month to download 2-3GB, and that is only 'median' customers. 250GB for an active internet using family like mine is an utter joke. Comcast is going to get an earful on this one and will probably end up removing this cap I think.

My parents are a perfect example. Both use email, but that doesn't take up much bandwidth. My mom also does all of her finance chores online, which is again light usage. Other than that they don't do a whole lot online. They rarely watch any streaming video and when they do it's limited to very small youtube stuff, and they don't use itunes or anything like that. Their biggest consumption probably comes from Windows Updates.

I think there are a lot of families like that.

I on the other hand watch a fair amount of streaming video from hulu and such, but I very much doubt I get close to 250gb in a month. It's tough to gauge how much bandwidth I use in a typical month without a counter, but I'd be shocked if I ever go a lot above 100gb. 250gb is a whole lot of data. While I'd rather see no limit, I feel the one Comcast is imposing is quite reasonable for a residential service. $50 is not a whole lot per month. Look at how many minutes that gets you on a cell plan, not really that much. I think people who use more should have to step up to a more expensive plan.

Ridiculous.

16mbps download speed. Means solid downloading reaches your cap in under a day and a half :p

If they would just drop analog television they could have a HUGE boost in accessible bandwidth.

There are still way too many people on an analog cable tier in many areas for Comcast to go all digital. Plus, Comcast couldn't afford the equipment cost incurred by handing out all the necessary digital boxes. This is years off, and an equally probable solution is going with a fiber optic network instead of copper.

i have comcast and i just checked my smoothwall. last month i used ~150 GB. 250 GB is a lot but i can imagine if you used a lot of streaming video/movies how it could easily top 250 GB.

i'd have to say the thing that used the most bandwidth last month was setting up a local gentoo mirror. doing the whole thing is about 100 GB of space and it all had to be downloaded. but even then, that was a one time deal. updates are pretty small usually.

You guys realize the 250gb (invisible) limit has been around for a LONG time, right? If you haven't had any troubles in the past, there's no reason to complain because you aren't going to use 250gb anyway. Realistically, unless youre either the world's biggest uber-nerd or abusing your services, there is no risk of reaching 250gb. Only problem really would be with a family full of heavy users, all with their own computers.

Last edited:
If they would invest in the infrastructure the US as a whole wouldnt fall further and further behind the rest of the world.

FIOS doesnt have awesome speeds solely due to their smaller base.

This has been brought up many times before, building up our infrastructure is not an easy/trivial solution.

roadrunner is doing the same thing comcast is doing, I don't mind it much although if I am being metered by how much I use I should be able to get a speed increase as well...

roadrunner is doing the same thing comcast is doing, I don't mind it much although if I am being metered by how much I use I should be able to get a speed increase as well...

Well at 250GB a month I am sure 95% of Comcast customers fall under this cap. Therefore their usage habits won't change and unless Comcast has beefed up their infrastructure I doubt you will see a difference. This 250GB cap looks like it is an attempt to limit excessive bittorrent'ers.

that is precisely what it intends to do Vinny, as I said I have no problem with it really, just think it would be nice to receive a slight boost. Didnt think it would actually ever happen without a boost in price as well.

Why not just block the ports to P2P services? I mean, whenever a friend comes over to my house, as soon as he turns on his computer, it starts torrents. Now, I would be pretty mad if he left it going and I left town. I would come back to dial-up speeds and there would be nothing I could do about it. Lets just hope Cox doesn't do this.

Back