• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coming back to the WC area!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nodiaque

Registered
Hello everyone,

I'm coming back to the scene after about 10 years of being away. Last time I did WC was with my AMD Sempron!

Since I've been away for a long time, things have changed so I've read all the sticky. Problem with them is, well, they are dated as well. Good for the theory, but the part listing aren't always good. Because of that, I'm requesting your help.

My setup is as follow:
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred v1
Board: EVGA x58 3x SLI Classified
CPU: I7-920 @ 4.2ghz
GPU: EVGA GTX 480 (planning on making a SLI)
PSU: Corsair HX850W

Now, I'm looking to liquid cool the cpu, both gpu and the north/south bridge (gotta check which one, I know one of them get really hot with OC, my last one burned).

I don't care about putting the radiator outside of the case (the case have hole for that anyway). I'm wondering if I should do 2 loops or 1 loop. Although 2 loops would be the best, space in the case would be missing for all of that (would be very tight).

Now, looking at some website found in the sticky, it's seems I'm late for the party. I can't find those EVGA x58 north/south bridge waterblock and I'm unsure which waterblock to pick for my geforce and cpu (I was looking for the EK HF one, but they aren't listed anywhere).

As for rad, I though maybe putting 2 rad with one loop? I would replace the 200mm fan on top with a rad and put another one outside the case, the loop would be res->pump->CPU->NB->RAD->GPU->GPU->RAD->res.

But then again, even with the less restrictive RAD, I think this would be too much for the pump?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Last edited:
Honestly, before I would 'pour' money into watercooling your current system, in would.upgrade at least the gpu to something modern and faster. I don't see a point in cooling four year old cards.Honestly, I'd upgrade the entire rig first.

Loop order does not matter so long as the res is before the pump.

Single loop is fine.

I agree with ED, you would be better served by upgrading the Gpu then getting a second one.

Honestly, before I would 'pour' money into watercooling your current system, in would.upgrade at least the gpu to something modern and faster. I don't see a point in cooling four year old cards.Honestly, I'd upgrade the entire rig first.

Loop order does not matter so long as the res is before the pump.

Single loop is fine.

+1

I also concur. Upgrade the system as well with a newer friendly watercooling case. There are MANY out there now. I started H20 with an antec 1200 as well with my existing i7-950 and 2 GTX 480s in SLI and ended up buying a 800D because the 1200 needed alot of modding if I went that route or hang a ton of rads outside of it. That was than and many things have changed except the CPU/MB. Not worth it to buy the H20 parts for an old system. I got into H20 a few years ago with the same chipset as you. I wouldn't be doing it now, that is for sure. Save up, upgrade the whole rig including case with the mindset of going water cooling and than buy H20 cooling parts for those components.

thing is, I don't need to upgrade my rig. I can play all my game just fine. The second gtx 480 is already on the way, I tried it with one from a friend first and it was perfect for my gaming needs. I don't have money to send onto a new computer, specially since that one is doing the job just fine, I don't see the reason to upgrade. The GPU ok, but the whole rig? I don't see why. I don't need USB3 or Sata 3.

well, in that case, i'ld opt for universal blocks
the CPU block is always portable, should you decide to change - might need a new mounting mechanisme later, but thats almost a non-issue

GPU wise however, if going to full-cover blocks, once you decommission the 480s, you'll have a set of paperweights. Therefore, universal blocks + "glue-on" little HS

I would not bother with the NB, as it just adds restriction, but its up to you. :)

The loop order you're planning is ok and a single DDC or D5 should be able to handle it.
If you want to be sure and want power & redundancy, you can always go for a double top or some dual-pump reservoir.

However... unless you don't mind noise.... you'll have to allow for 120.6, because the 480s aren't exactly the coolest running cards on the block.

Depending on rad+fan, you might be able to get away with 120.4, but to keep the loop below ambient +10°C is gonna be a challenge.

I'm not sure the 1200 has enough room to allow for enough raddage.

...of course, you could always go with an external MO-RA or Phobya NOVA :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, I'll check on that.

For the NB, problem is my last board fried because of the OC and NB temp. On the x58, it get really hot past the 4ghz mark and since temp around here isn't the coolest in the world (ambient 20 to 40C), I though a little extra WC cooling on it would help. I might check for a air cooler instead, there used to be some really good out there from thermalright (if those thing still exist). Once only the board and hdd are in need of air cooling, it should be good. The airflow in the case isn't that bad.

I'll check for a 120.6, I don't mind about external mounting at all, I used to have WC on way smaller case which required me to hook the rad externaly.

You could have taken the amount you are spending on water and put it towards the new PC and ran it on air... You are spending a few hundred with all the blocks and rad you need...

But I digress...

Yes I could change my whole computer for the same price, and having it to run on air. But then, what's the idea here? My idea is not to get a better pc, it's to cool the pc I have right now that does the job but get too hot right now.

I already have 3 other computers for friends and family to come play with me, I don't need a 4th one (and thus, also, not clearing the overheat problem).

I understand everything you guy say, it's ok you guys wouldn't spend money on that old computer that can run any game without any problem and would upgrade it, but this is not my case. What I need is to cool down that beast, plain and simple, and air is getting unificient right now, specially in the summer.

Thanks

Its funny cause I felt the Antec 1200 is one of the best air cooled cases out there. Especially running 2 Fermi's side by side. Once I moved them to the 800D i had heat issues. I am surprised you're having issues but I assume the noise level is unbearable to some, especially to me. lol I would go with Rollie's recommendation and just grab a MO-RA. Get a pair of QDC's and call it a day. Have a housing unit external with all the pump(s) on it including the reservoir since the 1200 has limited space. Grab a nice WB for CPU and Universal blocks for the GPUs. Here's a picture of the example I just explained. A setup like this could last you many years and different PC generations if maintained properly.

8591bdba_579703_349587348442162_256544891_n.jpeg

Mo-ra 3 + Noiseblockers = Fairly silent and great Delta temps. Ironically there was a review done with a OC'd i7 920 @ 4.0 Ghz and 2 GTX 480s @ stock. Its a no brainer here.

Review

Nice, thanks for the heads up!

The heat issue is because of ambient. With my gtx 480 OC and my I7 OC, my cpu can reach high-80 on full load (dvd encoding, wcg...), an that's on a "cold" day of 20C ambient.

I tried to increase the air, all fans are at 100%, I got 1 AF-120 for the window, to SP-120 Performance Ed for the thermalright True Black, still can't get it lower.

That's why I'm turning to WC, checking if I can get better

That should keep your Delta temps under the 10c range while having your Fans say under 1500 RPM or even 1000 RPM. I mean you could go less heat surface and have a higher Delta and noise level (RPM).

ok, now time to shop and find a place in canada where they have that, because shipping across the border will cost a premium

Here's a nice list of shops internationally from our water cooling stickies.

Let us know what you come up with.

yeah, MO-RA & Nova are 120.9 or 140.9, depending on the version.. it are BIG rads. But they have so much capacity you can run very silent and even fanless on cold days.
Sometimes they come in package deals see : http://www.aquatuning.us/index.php/cPath/25_300
although i'm sure about shipping from aq.us

Now, i HAVE seen somewhere a guy using TWO 120.3 mounted saddlebag style on both sides of the case... looked kinda like an inverted U... it looked... interesting...
Cant remember where now, or i would put in a link

Somehow, it made me think of the victory-salute Razer of RobotWars/BattleBots fame displayed -wings extended, air of glee & menace about it :) :) But that might just be my warped mind seeing that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razer_(robot)

EDIT: FOUND IT .. it was Stren :)
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...-fit-too-much-watercooling-into-the-Antec-300
http://www.xtremerigs.net/2012/11/11/project-saddlebags-antec-300/

Last edited:
Nice, thanks for the heads up!

The heat issue is because of ambient. With my gtx 480 OC and my I7 OC, my cpu can reach high-80 on full load (dvd encoding, wcg...), an that's on a "cold" day of 20C ambient.

I tried to increase the air, all fans are at 100%, I got 1 AF-120 for the window, to SP-120 Performance Ed for the thermalright True Black, still can't get it lower.

That's why I'm turning to WC, checking if I can get better
To be quite honest, again LOL, 4.2Ghz is about as high as most of those went. I would hate to see you drop all this jack on water cooling parts and you are at a different (voltage) limit. What are your volts currently at with your current CPU and overclock?

Also, going water won't clear up your 'ambient' heat problem. YOu still need to dissipate 600W, but instead of it going through an air cooled heatsink, you are bringing it through a radiator. ;)

Oh I understand that WC won't clear up the ambient problem, but at least, the difference between ambient and load temp will be lessen.

Right now, I'm at 1.395v with +50mv. I already nearly hit 4.8ghz, but air cooling wasn't enough. But I'm not trying to OC more, I'm quite confortable with what I have right now, I just want it cooler because reaching 90+ is something I don't really want to see on my cpu, specially for days straight. If phase cooling wasn't so big, noisy and costly, I would have done that ;)

WC is normally more efficient, when used with the good parts. When I build my right, Thermalright Trueblack was the king of heatsink for air cooling, thus why I bought it with 2x SP-120 performance ed. To be honest, I didn't saw how it was with my stock cooler but I wasn't very amazed by it. I often though it was my installation, switching thermal paste, I gained about 2 degree when rechecking everything.

I'm not looking to upgrade my rig, I'm looking to keep it, but at a cooler temp.

yeah phase... but you are in the burbs of Montreal, does it really get that warm/hot?
iso of phase, have you considered a (smallish) room A/C?

Back