• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comments on Coolmax ZU1000B

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hazzyftw

hey guys so i recently replaced my ultra 750W hybrid supply w/ the power supply mentioned in the title since my Ultra died (setting up an RMA this week). I got this supply since it was only 10 dollars more, modular, and seemed sturdy yet simple. However after digging a bit it seems I've stumbled across a series of horror stories regarding Coolmax, and i don't know where to go from here.

Should i return this power supply and look at other options from corsair/cooler master/ antec/ thermatake? Thanks :)

Damn is Coolmax really that bad? O.O I mean so far it hasn't been awkward and its worked nicely w/ the PWM's on the MoBo

Hazzy, this is arguably the best place to find reviews on PSU's look through it to find one to fit your needs. Coolmax is not known to be a quality PSU.

You also do not need in any way shape or form a 1000w PSU, even if you were to get a second 7870 and overclocked the pee out of everything you would be more then fine with a 750w that you had. With what you're currently working with, You need a 650w tops and even that is a bit overkill.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1990102
I see what ya mean mandrake, but almost all components in my board are insured within a span of two years, and it seems this specific model has provided little problem to most users. However if i notice any oddities in operation or any random rebooting/spike in my light bill (by spike i refer to an increase of more than 30-50$), then i'll switch it out.

Run like the plague.
I have a Coolmax 1000W that can't even run an FX-6300 and GTX770. They're ****-poor.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1990102
I see what ya mean mandrake, but almost all components in my board are insured within a span of two years, and it seems this specific model has provided little problem to most users. However if i notice any oddities in operation or any random rebooting/spike in my light bill (by spike i refer to an increase of more than 30-50$), then i'll switch it out.
A low quality power supply can take out the whole system and being insured will help but then again it may not, the other issue will be if it doesn't fail, but you are having instability issues and you can't figure out what is causing it. You went out and bought yourself a nice system with quality parts don't run it on a crap power supply. Just because it's a 1000w doesn't mean it's going to use 1000w so you're power bill isn't going to up because of the wattage it is rated at. The only cause would be the power supply's lack of efficiency. It's your system so do as you will, though the quote from Atminside pretty much sums it up.
Run like the plague.
I have a Coolmax 1000W that can't even run an FX-6300 and GTX770. They're ****-poor.

Alright gents you've scared me enough. I'll try to pick up a few more pennies within the span of the next two weeks and switch it out for something from the aforementioned brands, I'm limited to those brands because its whats available in store and I'm extremely iffy w/ online shopping when it comes to PC parts (except specialty stuff like custom water loops; etc), because I've seen so many horror stories with warranties and customer service :/

Again,thanks for all the insight!
Also, is it ok if i ask a MoBo related question on this thread given you two seem like fairly experienced fellows? or wait for my thread to get a response in the Mobo sub forum?

Alright gents you've scared me enough. I'll try to pick up a few more pennies within the span of the next two weeks and switch it out for something from the aforementioned brands, I'm limited to those brands because its whats available in store and I'm extremely iffy w/ online shopping when it comes to PC parts (except specialty stuff like custom water loops; etc), because I've seen so many horror stories with warranties and customer service :/
No reason to worry about online shopping, I've been purchased thousands of dollars worth of parts online for years without issue. Buying online or in store you can always have an issue.

For 37.00 with the promo code and mail in rebate this is a pretty good deal.

Again,thanks for all the insight!
Also, is it ok if i ask a MoBo related question on this thread given you two seem like fairly experienced fellows? or wait for my thread to get a response in the Mobo sub forum?
Wait for the thread you already started.

Back