• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Community driven build based on cooling loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sig0431

I have been an avid reader of this site for some time now and decided that for my next build I would like to plan it all out with the help of you all. The vast amounts of knowledge and creative ideas from members of this site far surpass what I could Google in a lifetime. So I thought it would be cool to go part by part and step by step with the input and recommendations from you all.

Here is what we have to start working with. This will be a Ryzen 5 1600x build (may upgrade to Ryzen 7). The only item I have ordered is the Core P5. I want to start with the cooling loop as I plan for this to be the main focus. Once we have that all planned and ordered I will move on to my current frustration with X370 mobo selection and get your input for which one to select that will also compliment the cooling loop.

The following is the color scheme that I am seriously thinking about please keep in mind that nothing is solid until ordered, I want to get ideas and input from the community to help be build an amazing rig:

20635241_440538556346580_11125232311992320_n.jpg

I would appreciate it if people would share ideas with me on products they would recommend as well if you offer any services I may need like custom cable sleeving. Since I am looking at this build as a community collaboration I am thinking of having a plate engraved for the back of the case that says something like "Designed by:" and putting people usernames on it (of course with each persons permission).

I will update the following as parts are decided on, green=received, yellow=ordered, blue=waiting to order:

Res:
Pump:
Rad:
Fans:
Fittings:
CPU Block:
GPU Block:
Tubing:
Liquid:

CPU:
Motherboard:
Memory:
SSD/M.2/HDD:
GPU:
Case: Thermaltake Core P5 (Black)
PSU:
Mics: Tempered Glass Kit

Last edited:
So I guess we can start with the Res and pump. Most reservoirs look alike and are pretty boring until I stumbled upon Monsoon products. Because they are modular we could create a real unique look but the downside is they do not have a product catalog or a "designer" software on their site to get an idea of the final look.

Picture1.jpg

The other thought is that adding color to the res and pump may take away / clash with the tubes and liquid color. I am looking to have this color scheme done well and to be honest I can barley match my clothes that I put on which is why I am looking to you all for input.

I am going to cool both CPU and GPU so maybe 2 loops with 2 dual fan rads instead of one to cool both CPU and GPU? Let me know what your thoughts are and what products you think I should consider for the Res/Pump

Things I like / would change in my current build .

I wish I got a Rez/pump combo it would have saved some room in my case for better air flow and less leak points . But I would not get a overly large Rez as it really only helps during filling the loop and just take up space after that ( I kinda miss my t-line) .
Pump - I would get a PWM version of the D5 , I have had my d5 running for @ least 14 years now .
Fans - Dont cheep out spend some good money ( I would like some PWM Noctua Intustral ) . Are you going for max cooling or low noise . This will change ppls suggestions
Rads - Get the biggest/most that your case can fit . Some of the new x-flow give nice options for running your tubes
Fittings - I really have no preference just switched to compression fittings on my last redo must say I like them .
CPU block - I would google what is working best with ryzen ( all copper would be my preference)
Tubing - Hardtubing looks nice but is a pain if you want to move somthing or chamge out a part . You you go soft tubing get somthing nice that doesn't kink . I used Advanced LRT Flexible Tubing (black @ that to reduce light/algee ) and have had no problems .
Liquid - I use Deionized water ( what you would refill a battery with + a kill coil and have no problems) if using EK blocks silver is not recommend they have had problems with the silver + the nickel . Fluid has come along way over the years and most manufactures recommend there own product (im skeptical if this is just to make more $) .
MB - unless you need the PCIE lanes a B350 will work almost as good as a x370
Memory - Samsung b-die 3200mhz
GPU - Depends , do you like Green or red =) they are pretty close . I think now ppl are picking alot based on What Display they have/will get Freesync or G-sync . For a High end build I would say at least 1070/80/Vega56 .

Love that input, thank you.

Res / pump combo is what I am thinking unless someone chimes in with a creative layout for separating them. The monsoon res I talked about earlier have the pump included.

For the size of the res, I have nothing but room in the core P5. The case is massive. I don't want to have voids in the build but if there are any, they will be considered when laying out the tubing to fill those areas.

Max cooling or low noise... Im just focused on performance but will keep noise in mind when selecting certain products like fans, pump housing etc.

Rads: I have a few in mind as the colors go with the scheme I have chosen but they slim rads. When we get to that part of the build I will see what people think but considering this will be a 1600x build with a 1070 for 1080p gaming I don't think slim rads will be a issue but I might go with a thicker one and paint.

Tubing: no flexible tubing for this build. I have all the jigs and tools for bending and have expirence with it. This is not my first build I just wanted to have this next build be a "community" build as it gives the build a nice background story.

Mobo: I am going with a 370 since I am going to be putting a lot of work and time into this build and why skimp there just to save less than $100. I am going with the 1600x because I will be gaming at 1080p 60fps and I personally do not know what benefits the 1800x will provide over the 1600x for this build. There may be justification but I am unaware of it and will need to be educated.

For RAM my initial thought was the Trident Z and I am "almost" sure they have the Samsung B chip but we will see once we get to that part.

GPU will be a 1070 unless prices drop in the next few months. I am not sold on the Vega GPU's yet but I could be uneducated. No need for the GTX 1080 unless I move up to 1440 gaming.

Thanks again for sharing your lessons learned. Looking forward to seeing what others recommend for the res/pump so I can order and we can move forward.

Here's mine, it has been hanging on the wall, don't hang it on a wall, loaded like this it weighs a stinking ton and takes 2 to get it on and off the wall.
fill the thing up please, go to yahoo, type in thermal take core p5 then select images, there you will see what it looks like with an ITX board and a 2x120 rad, just yuck......
get the tempered glass kit, this is a display case, you'll want to display your rig, this case displays dust very well indeed.
asrocks extreme boards used to be blue themed, take a look-see.

storage box.JPG

Here's mine, it has been hanging on the wall, don't hang it on a wall, loaded like this it weighs a stinking ton and takes 2 to get it on and off the wall.
fill the thing up please, go to yahoo, type in thermal take core p5 then select images, there you will see what it looks like with an ITX board and a 2x120 rad, just yuck......
get the tempered glass kit, this is a display case, you'll want to display your rig, this case displays dust very well indeed.
asrocks extreme boards used to be blue themed, take a look-see.

I agree with never hanging it on the wall. I have it set up on a table next to my desk. I would be too worried about it falling with how heavy it is!

Great idea about the tempered glass kit. I have it in my amazon cart and will order it today. I have also added it to parts list in my initial post.

Unless people disagree with my mobo choice once we get there, I am thinking of getting a ROG E-ATX board. The only reason why I would go with 2 rads is if we are going to cool the CPU and GPU on separate loops. It can come out nice if planned out well before the build and placing the radz on the back.

350x700px-LL-8b70837f_IMG_20170206_201300.jpg

I just threw out the idea of 2 loops to show that I am open to any and all ideas. the GPU and CPU even when OC will not require their own loops to maintain stability, it would be purely visual appeal.

nothing wrong with 2 loops, 2 rads, 2 what ever, to my eyes it just looks silly with all the open rad space showing through.
the other issue I have is that the drive at the far edge of the case, in the back runs very hot, I had to jury rig the smallest fan i could find and just kind of make it work, far from perfect, but it works.

Back