• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compaq rig, strange XP error message

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

This is my stepfather's computer, a Compaq Presario (don't recall the exact model). He's been getting this error message as of late.

RTHDCPL.EXE Illegal System DLL Relocation
system DLL user32.dll relocated in memory. App will not run properly.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX occupies address range for WIndows system DLL.
Contact vendor supplying DLL for a new one...

I don't recognize the filename. He thinks it might have something to do with Norton which has been expired for awhile (uh oh). I did install Spybot/AVG/etc, but knowing him he probably hasn't been using them.

His rig did have 2x512MB OCZ RAM, he now only has one stick of a matched pair due to the second being defective (how that happened I do not know as it was humming along fine for 3 years before now, I have the alleged defective stick but nothing to test it in).

Any ideas?

Uninstall your Realtek High Definition Audio driver and application. Reboot. Reinstall.

See if this solves the problem.

It's a very common problem here at work, where we resell a lot of HPs. Redduc's post is the solution.

I had to apply this hotfix 6 times this morning. Microsoft/windows updates isn't doing it automatically. :mad:

I ran across a very similar (if not exactly the same) problem with another client's Windows box, and reinstalling the Compaq drivers did fix it. This user says that didn't work (says there's no Driver tab--bwuh?). I'll see if I can get more info out of him...this isn't a computer I have access to usually.

(tried remote assistance, he didn't want it so everything's being done by email for the most part)

Back