• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compare pictures in two folders to make their file names identical

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Two folders with same three pictures each but named differently in each folder.
Folder 1: A.jpg B.jpg C.jpg
Folder 2: 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Folders have identical pictures named differently. What program can compare pictures in two folders and rename the second folder pictures so that picture file names are identical.

Is there such a program?

That type of software is used in facial recognition systems. And police departments have been using something similar for years when comparing fingerprints. That's the direction I'd look for relevant software. 2¢

This is fairly easy in Linux with Pyrenamer, Metamorphose2 (and many more) and even the command line with a little bash scripting (although scripting may take some trial and error if you arent proficient). I am making the assumption that Windows is your preferred platform though. Ccleaner searches for duplicate files but not sure it can do what you want.

https://forum.piriform.com/topic/42652-help-with-duplicate-file-finder/ has a recommendation for a free software from Nirsoft in post #2 that searches by checksum.

What I would do is combine both folders and remove the duplicates and then copy Dir1 > Dir2. That way both directories have the same files and the same names. I am unsure if I understood what you want to do though.

When I manually backup my cell phone contacts, again, manually not by uploading to Google servers, I want that backup to include full res pictures assigned to each contact.
Incredibly, almost all backup apps do not have that option, except for one: Contacts Backup Ultimate which no longer even exists on Google Play Store.

Anyway, the pictures degrade when you backup/restore multiple times but I do have the first backup with clear non degraded pictures.
But every backup names contact pictures differently so even though I have two folders with identical contact pictures, it's a cumbersome operation to make them both have identical names too, so I can quickly write over degraded pictures with non-degraded ones..

So...

1. If you know of an app that can backup full res contact pictures along with your address book MANUALLY, not by uploading it to the internet, then that would solve my problem.

2. If not, I still have an installation .apk file of the one and only app, Contacts Backup Ultimate, that I know of, which can actually do that. But I would need to figure out how to automate the process described in post #1 of this thread.

Perhaps a new app was released that can actually do this without degrading pictures, but I've given up on expecting that this would happen a few years ago.

Back