• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

complete and thorough kernel guide where??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimstandard

i have gentoo but im a newbie but i want to update my kernel, i was on gaming sources and i want to run 2.6.3-gentoo-r1 but i dont know what it should enable or disable where could i find a good guide that would teach me what to do and make a great kernel for my system any help please

You can use this. Some of the options are in different places, but it won't take a lot of searching. You'll also need to emerge module-init-tools if you want to use modules, since they're not the same in 2.4 and 2.6. The module tools will detect which version should be used, so you won't have any trouble switching between 2.4 and 2.6 kernels once the new module tools are installed. ALSA drivers are included now, so you won't need to compile them separately. The last difference is that you only need to do make menuconfig and make && make modules_install, which is the same as make depmod bzImage modules modules_install in 2.4.

Back