• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

completely heatpiped cooled case!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Standard Zalman approach: Make things ridiculously large enough that a fan is not required, make them out of expensive copper, and then polish everything until it looks beautiful.

This will probably be a quality product, as are most things from Zalman. This will probably not really be the overclocker's best freind, as passive cooling tends to be "good enough", but not something with a lot of thermal overhead, and not as good as something with a fan. This is seen in Zalman's passive VGA cooler - sure it's quieter, but chances are you won't be able to overclock your video card as high as you could with a good CPU HSF modded on.

The exception to Zalman's general rule of really big but just good enough, though, is the CNPS-7000 HSF - it is more than good enough (and more than heavy enough...). So, maybe this case will be more than good enough; I'm sure we'll find out eventually.

Two things are for sure - it looks really nice and it looks really expensive. :)

P.S. - I can't find the link anymore, but I read a review of the Zalman passive heatpipe HDD cooler - it took the operating temp of a 15k RPM SCSI drive at load from 60+ degrees down to somewhere in the 40's. Pretty sweet.

Is that a passively cooled PSU in there? That must be hell to install.

*Note*
I like the NB heatsink.. its an Alpha! HAH!

Really original case, tho ugly as hell =/

I have some doubts about that HD-cooler..
Heatpipes move heat from one end to the other right?
So what this 'cooler' does is make one side of the drive
really hot and the other a bit cooler. Sounds ludicrus
to me.

pakir said:

I have some doubts about that HD-cooler..
Heatpipes move heat from one end to the other right?
So what this 'cooler' does is make one side of the drive
really hot and the other a bit cooler. Sounds ludicrus
to me.

The Heatpipes are exposed to the air, so the air cools them. The heat is pulled off the sides and up into the pipes. It won't completely cool them before the warm water gets to the other end, but a majority does get cooled. Search for a review on it, it did very well.

This thing looks like a bear to work with. What if the CPU goes dead or you buy a new vid card? How much do these heat pipes bend? Also, everything looks to be arranged in a whacked-out configuration that's not gonna do jack for cooling. And what geniuses! They made the side of the case one big hs! Can you imagine if your leg accidently rubbed up against that? OW!

This just seems like a total waste of money. If I had this given to me and I was forced to use it, i would leave the front and back covers off and put a couple of silent 120mm fans on one end to blow air through it, which would probably effectively double the cooling.

Cudos to Zalman for innovation and imagination, but this is rediculous. ;)

It sounds crazy but every Zalman product I've seen so far had every situation worked out. The price is exhorbitant regardless of whether it's effective enough for overclocking or not.

But I picture this case in every music or sound studio, where silence literally is golden. It isn't for gamers... perhaps home theaters for the rich.

oh man you guys are blind. did you not notice ho those heatpipes BOLT to the case sides? you simply UNBOLT them then take it off.

That design is actually quite good. although I do not beleve it will perform all that well. It will do the job. but as to how well it will, I cannot tell.

That hard drive cooler looks kinda odd. I see means of transfering heat from one side to the other, but not off, except the surface of the copper and aluminum.

Yes, it does look quite difficult to mount all that. Im sure it takes a long time and all.

I agree this is extremely expensive.
I bet that thing costs at least $200 to be made.

I agree, I would possibly rather have some other system. but this one might not be that bad.
tnn4.jpg

take a look, ITS BOLTED DOWN.

<edit>
Ffats said:

*Note*
I like the NB heatsink.. its an Alpha! HAH!
Alpha. If I remember, Zalman makes that heatsink.*note* they do come in different colors.

You guys REALLY need to get your stuff strait before you go shooting your mouth off about stuff you really don't know.

Jon

Last edited:
(((You guys REALLY need to get your stuff strait before you go shooting your mouth off about stuff you really don't know.)))

This is a discussion board, get a grip!

I'm curious what the specs on that mobo are. If you can't upgrade that thing, it better be a heckavu board!

CaptainValor said:
I'm curious what the specs on that mobo are. If you can't upgrade that thing, it better be a heckavu board!

It doesn't come with a motherboard, that's why it's only $450. ;) As it was stated by JFettig earlier, all the parts are bolt-on for easy removal. :)

7keys said:
(((You guys REALLY need to get your stuff strait before you go shooting your mouth off about stuff you really don't know.)))

You obviously havent seen people loose thousands of dollars of computer parts for reading posts of people who didnt know what they were talking about.

Jon

How could you be against people checking facts before making posts? Wouldn't that save people alot of time from reading useless posts, making it easier to actually find good information. I would love to have to sort through less crap.

Also this is NOT the discussion section, this is the hardware section, the discussion section is towards the bottom of the main page.

I like the looks of that case. It could potentially cool very well. The performance will depend greatly on how well the heatpipes mate with the side panels. Obviously, the better the connection the better the performance - but that will take alot of thermal compound! I suspect they will ship it with some sort of thermal pad/tape which will work, but limit the potential.

I am toying with the idea of making a 100$ passive rig. It would be great for a 24/7 box (especially since all my computers are in the same rom as my bed!) All it needs is a hard drive cooler that actually encloses it for noise reduction :D

Its a tad expensive for my tastes. If I was goin to spend 450 on coolingm, it would be a prometia for my main rig :D

Im currently toying with the idea of a 100% passive rig with the zalman cnps7000 i have lying around and my k6/2 box. Im not sure about the PSU tho.

It's going to be released around September, but from what I read from ZALMAN it's going to be roughly $900-$1000 us Dolllars.

Hey I guess people will pay for silence, but for me even if it was $400 I would pass on it.

(((Also this is NOT the discussion section, this is the hardware section, the discussion section is towards the bottom of the main page.)))

Does this mean it should be dominated by blow hard know it alls who belittle people who have a question or differing opinion?

I have noticed over the years I have been coming to this site that everyone has been committed to having a high level of patience and respect toward other members. People come here to learn, and teach others and everyone is at a different level and therefore might ask questions or have observations that might seem idiotic to you. These people should not be spoken “down” to or treated in a condescending manor.

Last edited:
I dont beleve anyone said that.

That was a statement toward people who claim stuff to be. He said, that the nb heatsink was an alpha, and laughed at it, and it wasnt an alpha. it was their own heatsink THEY make.

Jon

$1000!?!?! that money could be much better spent on a vaper exchange cooler or umm anything other then a heatpipe cooled case

Back