• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Audio Crackling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twisted4000

My computer's audio has been making sizzling/crackling/white noise, and I can only hear it when I turn up my speakers to about at least the 70% mark.

I know for a fact it's not the speakers' fault, it's the computer, because even when I unplug the speakers altogether, I can still see the sound when I use Audacity and record with stereo mix.

I used LatencyMon and it detected a problem, and it says it is possibly WLAN related. This would make sense since I just noticed the sound recently, and just about a week ago I installed a new WLAN PCIE adapter. Even when I disable the WLAN adapter, it still makes the crackling noise. I even TOOK OUT the thing and, even though at that point, when I used LatencyMon, it didn't DETECT any problems, I could still hear the noise as if it were there. I tried disabling USB hubs in the device manager and still nothing. I turned off my phone in the room to make sure it wasn't picking up any sort of interference from it. No help.

I had this same problem a while back, and I figured out it was because CPU throttling was enabled in my BIOS. Disabling it fixed the issue, but now a similar problem is here and the throttling is still disabled.

One thing I noticed is that whenever the noise crackles or snaps, my HDD LED on the PC tower blinks in perfect synchronization. I tried unplugging all three of my hard drives (leaving the solid state drive with the OS on it in, of course) but nothing.

What else could be causing the problem?

Internal

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard - Gigabyte P45T-ES3G
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
RAM - 16GB (4x 4GB) G.Skill Ripjaw Series DDR3 @ 1066MHz
GPU - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 1GB
PSU - Thermaltake SMART Series SP-650PCBUS 650W
Storage - 128GB SATA SSD (OCZ-VERTEX4) [OS Installed]
- 1TB SATA HDD @ 7,200RPM (Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162)
- 750GB SATA HDD @ 7,200RPM (Seagate ST3750528AS)
- 160GB IDE HDD @ 7,200RPM (Western Digital WDC WD1600JB-00GVA0)
Optical Drive - SATA DVD Multi Recorder (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH41N)
External Device(s) - Rosewill RCR-IC001 Card Reader
WiFi Card - Protronix PCIe 802.11n Wireless LAN Card

External

Monitors(s) - 21.5'' LED-LCD (ASUS VS228) [Main]
- 15'' LCD (NEC LCD1550V)
Mouse - Logitech G500s
Keyboard - Logitech G510s
Audio - Logitech X-140 Speakers

IRQ conflicts are essentially never an issue these days, but if you have the mobo manual handy, check what IRQ the onboard audio is on and move the PCIE wifi card to a slot that is not on the same IRQ. This used to solve issues back when I had a pet dinosaur and my car wheels were made of stone but it has little application today. Still worth sharing.

Can you tell us exactly what the wording of the error you get is?

Your system seems to have difficulty handling real time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.

Have you disabled CPU throttling and updated your bios?

Yes, CPU throttling has been disabled for a long time. As I stated, a while back I had a similar problem and it turned out it was because the CPU throttling was on. Turning it off fixed it. But now, it's back even though the throttling is off.

I have not updated my BIOS yet. That seems like the logical thing to do, so I will look into that soon.

Back