• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Computer boot constantly restarting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ba!nesy

Hey guys, just built a new computer, well my friend helped me. We put everything together, went to turn it on, and it powered up for 1-2 seconds then turned off. then powered on again for 1-2 seconds then turned off etc.
We tried a different PSU, nothing.
We tried different ram, nothing.
Tried unplugging graphics card, nothing.
tried re seating the cpu nothing.
unplugged vertex 2 SSD (because i know theres some issues with old sadforce and Haswell, worth a shot) but nothing.
We thought that the power button headers were around the wrong way, changed them around, now it only stays on until we let our fingers off the button.

Motherboard is a GA H87M D3H, Power supply is a 700w Thermaltake.
I don't know what else to add. Some people say it might be short circuiting, but I don't think the motherboard "raisers" (not sure what they're called) are touching anywhere they might not be.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks.

Could you list the full setup?

One thing that could cause such an issue is a power button that sticks.

But as always, removed all unnecessary hardware and test it.

So only Motherboard, PSU, CPU, cooling and ram is needed.

Run the onboard graphics.

Case: Corsair Spec 03
PSU Thermaltake 700w
MB: GA H87M D3H
CPU: i5 4670
RAM: 2x8GB corsair sticks.
GPU: EVGA spuerclocked gtx 760.
SSD: 120 GB Kingston Hyper X 3k, 60GB OCZ Vertex 2
HDD: 250GB Western Digital.
DVD rewriter, forget which brand, it was from the old comp.

From what I have read it sounds like its the MB short circuiting, and now im questioning whether or not we may have left a MB spacer on the case where it shouldn't be. gonna go check that in a bit. Other wise, we checked ram, thats not it, PSU used the one from my old comp, that did the same thing. unplugged the vertex 2 SSD as the old sandforce controler has known issues with haswell, thought it was worth a shot. tried unplugging the GPU (just took out the power cables, left the card in the slot). How would I test for a sticking button?

Take the GPU out of the slot.

Unplug the PSU from everything and short it so that it will power up. See if it stays on. Check it with a multi-meter while you're at it. See what the various voltages are. If all is well reassemble as described above, minimal to get a boot.

we used a PSU from my previous computer that worked that very day. and got the exact same results.

Just went back and was starting to unplug things from the MB when I noticed that there was no cable (because we zip tied all cables that weren't being "used" round the back) for the ATX 12v thats found on the top left corner of the MB. No pic sorry but its the
ATX_12V_2x4 connection thats near the back I/O panel and the fan plug.
(Heres the manual.)
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z87m(h87m)-d3h_e.pdf
the connector is on page 22, the first one, not the 24 pin connector.
Thanks guys, im thinking this is it.

and if that is the only thing we are missing, then which side do I use for the power? closest to i/o or closest to CPU?

Back