• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer messes up HDD after each format!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kebabninja

Hello
I am having a problem with a friends computer.

From what I have experienced there seems to be is a communication error with the harddrive, causing erroneous writes and corrupting of files (Windows 10 64bit).

MOBO:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H

I will give you the timeline:

When first received, the old HDD was unresponsive, it was not even detected in the BIOS. He purchased a new for me to install.

• I installed the new Seagate Barracuda 1TB, but windows 10 64bit installation fails in the second step where a reboot is supposed to occur. It cannot boot and says different things, one being "winload.exe" is missing from system32. Other times it was other files.
  • I attempted to put the HDD in a SATA3 (is it SATA3?) instead of a SATA6 connector, no difference.
  • I attempted to install SATA drivers from USB prior to win install, no difference.
  • I flashed the BIOS to the newest version, no difference.
  • I tried making a new windows 10 boot USB, no difference.

The first success came when I simply put the HDD in my own computer and formatted and installed from there. Once the install was finalized I could move the HDD back to his computer and successfully boot, and everything was running fine and fast. This is where it got weird:

After installing various standard programs I got a BSOD after 2 days of tweaking (no OC or other BIOS tinkering). After rebooting it said the windows install was damaged and that I had to reboot onto a windows 10 disc for repair.
I moved the HDD to my own computer again to reformat and install, but was able to actually boot now, and it appeared to do an automatic repair. I moved the HDD back into my friends computer.

A day later it suddenly become VERY slow, and the HDD arm can be heard physically moving around in a frantic search back and forth, like a typewriter. It also made this sound when I first received it, with the faulty HDD. It went from 20 second bootup to 5 minutes, and it takes several minutes to open the most basic programs. Then it failed completely, and now again, it cannot boot. Saying "Automatic Repair Couldn’t Repair Your PC". All drivers are up to date.

Does anyone recognize this behaviour? It appears as if the computer makes write errors and messes itself up more and more, regardless of what I do, and how many fimes i reformat.

Run Memtest86+ on their machine and see if it throws errors

I suspect this is either a memory issue or a failing SATA controller. Keep in mind that memory issues can actually be caused by motherboard problems. As Atminside suggested, run Memtest86+ for 3-4 passes. I would also swap out the SATA data cable with a new one.

I don't know about the license and activation of your friend win10, but since rights are tied to the motherboard and probably the processor, I believe installing on one system and running on another can be problematic.

I don't know about the license and activation of your friend win10, but since rights are tied to the motherboard and probably the processor, I believe installing on one system and running on another can be problematic.

Now that's a distinct possibility.

A problem for activation, yes. A problem for corrupting an OS installation, no.

Okay...first, it's not a very good idea to use a mobo with one chipset to istall windows and use that install in another mobo with another chipset.
Anyhoo...first, you should probably hit Seagate and grab their Seatools for DOS and see what that has to say regarding the HDD.
Let us know what the results are :)

crystaldiskinfo would let you know right away if it failing sectors on the drive itself

Sounds like possibly a bad board on the HDD. (bad cache or other problem with the HDD's PCB) Was given a 2007 Western Digital Caviar 500 GB that had the same kind of bull, IIRC.
(When installing Vista, at that time.)

MHDD couldn't find a single bad sector on that HDD, LOL. Looked like the HDD PCB was screwed. A bad solder joint on the HDD board is suspect...

Back