• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer not working after vacation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oakyy

Registered
I recently arrived back from a vacation to the U.K. To find that my computer shuts down after a period of time depending on how hard the computers working (the harder its working the quicker it shuts down) it glitches with a white screen and/ or vertical black lines a couple times before staying on a white screen for 10-30 seconds before going black and not responding to anything I have to turn the computer off and leave it for an hour before tuning it back on otherwise the ASUS logo has green vertical lines and before going to the password input screen it goes completely black.

Unplugging USB connections sometimes help to turn it back on faster.

Any ideas to what's wrong with it??

Please tell us more about your computer.

Is it a laptop or a desktop?

Is it a store bought computer or a custom build?

Make or model of computer if store bought.

Tell us about the power supply make and wattage. Tell us about the motherboard make and model. What CPU are you running? What video card do you have or are you using the onboard video? What make and frequency is the memory and how much memory do you have? What kind of storage do you have in the computer? Hard drive or SSD?

What are you cooling the CPU with?

If you don't know how to answer these questions then download and install a free program called "CPU-z." Attach pictures to your post of these three program tabs: CPU, Motherboard, Memory. Use Windows Snipping tool to crop and save the pictures and then use the Go Advanced button to attach them.

What programs do you run on the computer that "make it work hard."

This could be a hardware issue but could also be something like a bad video driver. This problem could also be due to overheating.

We need a lot more information to help you.

Once you have given us more info we will suggest a way for you to monitor temperatures to check for overheating.

By any chance was the computer left on while you were on vacation and if so was there a power outage at your house during this time?

Last edited:
sounds like classical overheating to me. Of course if this is a laptop you took with you to the UK then you might have another set of problems on your hands, but until you give more info there's not much we can do.

It's a shop built custom build desktop not the best but gets the job done.

CPU................. Intel-I5
Motherboard.... ASUS H81M plus
GPU................. (can't find it out) it's a gigabyte winforce thing
Memory............ 8gb DDR3
Psu................... gyro 400W
Cooling............. gyro fan

MY PERIPHERALS ARE ALSO THE RAZER DEATHSTALKER AND THE DEATH ADDER

If that matters

I have also checked the tempurture in the bios tab right after it shutting down and reaches about 40 degrees Celsius

I thought so would the dust in my computer make the fans work harder for the time being if I went to buy one

I thought so would the dust in my computer make the fans work harder for the time being if I went to buy one

Yes, the dust would make the fans work harder. Take an air compressor and blow the dust out of the interior, especially the CPU heatsink/fan, the GPU heatsink fan and the PSU.

If you don't have access to an air compressor, buy a couple cans of compressed air at an office supply store.

Don't allow the fans to spin when you shoot them with compressed air or you will fry the fan bearings. Stop them with your finger or in the case of the PSU fan, insert something long and skinny (and non metallic) like a coffee stirrer straw in through the fan grill.

40c in bios doesn't tell us much because the computer is not under load in that situation. Download and install the free program HWMonitor. Download and install another free program called Prime95. Open HWMonitor on the desktop and expand it's frame so that you can see the "core" temps and "package" temp section. Then open and run the Prime95 "just stress testing" option. Watch the core and package temps in HWMonitor and take note of the max temps. Run Prime95 for 20 minutes if the system will allow. But take note of max core and package temps right from the start so that you have data to report back to us if the computer crashes before you can finish the 20 minute Prime95 stress test.

I'm going out later so I'll buy some compressed air and see how that goes

I tried the compressed air it didn't do anything
I also noticed in the bios that the CPU temperature is around 70 degrees when it shuts off

If your CPU has the Intel HD Graphics you can try removing your graphics card and plugging your monitor in to the mobo. and seeing if that works. 70 degrees shouldn't be shutting down your CPU. Do you know which i5 you have?

Start Menu>right click Computer>Properties should tell you which one it is.

Alaric;7981750]If your CPU has the Intel HD Graphics you can try removing your graphics card and plugging your monitor in to the mobo. and seeing if that works. 70 degrees shouldn't be shutting down your CPU. Do you know which i5 you have?

Start Menu>right click Computer>Properties should tell you which one it is.

This is beginning to sound more like a bad capacitor in the PSU or on the motherboard.

Oakyy, please attach those pics of the three CPU-z tabs I asked for in post #2.

The CPU-z wouldn't let me install it for free but the prime95 has been going for an hour and counting

Task manager.PNG

that looks like a problem to me the disk, 1.6Mgb/s and 7%

that always seems to be high when my computer starts glitching up

You can't tell anything about the disk from that. All it's saying is that the disk is being accessed only 7% of the time during a certain time period. So disk activity was low during that time.

If you want to check the health of the disk, download and install a free program called Crystaldiskinfo: http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html Download the standard edition. Run the program. If all the parameters show a blue color scheme then the disk is probably okay. If something is wrong you will get a yellow color and a little jingle will play as the program loads.

If Prime95 has been running for over an hour and you have had no crashes then CPU overheating would not seem to be the culprit.

Now you need to check out if the GPU is overheating. To do this, download and install 3DMark: https://www.3dmark.com Run the benchmarks. It will put heavy stress on your video card.

Another good GPU stress tester is the Heaven benchmark: https://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/heaven/

Here's a tip: If you have HWMonitor open while running Prime95 or 3DMark it will monitor temps for you: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Last edited:
Back