• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer not working after vacation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I ordered a 550w "guaranteed" psu

I also took out my video card and it hasn't turned off yet yet

What make and model 550W PSU did you order?

Last edited:
I just found out what gpu I have after taking it out
Gv-r9270c-2gd gigabyte

A 500w power requirement

Video cared manufacturers really hedge quite a bit on those stated PSU power requirements because they know a lot of people will buy a cheap off brand PSU with greatly exaggerated wattage claims. That video card of yours draws a max of about 150 watts under load. The CPU, motherboard, fans, hard drive, etc probably draw a max of an additional 125 watts altogether. So that's a total of 275 watts.

Attachments

• R9270.PNG
    R9270.PNG
    54.9 KB · Views: 36
It didn't work it must be my GPU but now when I plug it in it says not support

GPU was the next thing in my list to buy anyway

Oh, well, in the meantime you can use your IGP. You definitely needed a new PSU.

How do I do that without being able to use my GPU or have it installed in my computer

Uninstall the old driver package, via Add/Remove Programs through the Control Panel, then shut down and reinstall the card and connect your monitor to the card. If it boots with the M$ drivers then install the latest AMD Catalyst package.

When my card is in the pc it won't turn on because I have to use the GPU I can only use my computer when it's not installed

That's why I suggested uninstalling the drivers while using the onboard graphics, the reinstalling the card to see if it boots. It's a long shot, but I've seen corrupted driver installations cause all manner of problems. It's a half hour of time total and it will eliminate software as the issue and maybe save you some money. I thought it might be worth a shot.

I'll give it a go if it doesn't work can I overclock my onboard graphics to any extent for the time being while I get some money for the gpu

In saving toward a new GPU I might suggest the Radeon R9 480. Lots of bang for the buck.

Back