• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer restarts without warning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Going to try p95 in safe mode after memtest.

And i actually let my friend who works for apple unpackage the cpu. He may have left plastic on but i remember i installed the cpu and cpu cooling fan and remember it kindof gliding on the cpu when i was locking it down. Im assuming that smooth gliding was the heatsink rubbing. But its possible plastic couldhave been on. Should i reseat the cpu cooling unit or is that a bad idea?

Memtest was running for 13mins without problems but i shut it down because my computer started to smell like it was on fire.

Better check in bios to see that your ram voltage is set properly. Take it off "Auto" and set it manually to manufacturer's specs. I'm wondering if its set way too high and that is the source of both your instability and your burnt smell.

Better check in bios to see that your ram voltage is set properly. Take it off "Auto" and set it manually to manufacturer's specs. I'm wondering if its set way too high and that is the source of both your instability and your burnt smell.

Dram voltage is 1.500v
Ddr vtt voltage is 0.750v

He isnt overclocked.

You need more thermal paste if u want to reseat it. I would visually unspect it too see of there is plastic between the heatsink and cpu.

And fund out where that smell is coming from!

No plastic. And it hasnt smelled like that since.

How certain is everyone that its my psu and not my mainboard? I want to know if i should buy a new psu or just take my computer into the shop.

Last edited:
Wow.... Can you take the side of your case off, boot into BIOS and check to make sure the CPU fan is running? Are you using the stock heatsink? (If you already answered this, sorry...I couldn't find where you posted that answer.)

Is this your case? If so, did it come with all 3 120mm fans? Where are they placed in the case?

I agree with the comments regarding your PSU. As soon as you address the overheating issue, get a new PSU too assuming that the PSU currently isn't the cause of your trouble.

Problem solved.

According to a TigerDirect customer support guy, my problem was a common problem for people who have a GA-990XA series motherboard AND the 8150 (bulldozer) processor combination.

All I needed to do was open my bios and switch "Core Performance Boost" to OFF, since it's ON by default.

Thanks for all your suggestions everybody!!

Back