• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Shutting off after an hour or so

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sunk

Registered
I have a AMD Athlong XP 2000 and a ASUS a7n266-vm motherboard. Recently my computer has been shutting down after one long beep. It usually runs fine until an hour or so, and then shuts down..if i try to turn it on right after that, it turns on for a few seconds, then shuts down again.

my cpu temp : 135 f

Where are you reading the temp from? Is that in BIOS or in the OS? If it's in the OS, is it idle or load?

If that's a BIOS temp, it's very high and almost certainly the problem. If it's in the OS, it might be the problem, although most athlons are fine running at 57C with load.

I'd still try to get it down, I had many, many problems with instabilities until I got aggressive with heat control. I never believed people that it mattered, but I was completely wrong.

MRD said:
Where are you reading the temp from? Is that in BIOS or in the OS? If it's in the OS, is it idle or load?

If that's a BIOS temp, it's very high and almost certainly the problem. If it's in the OS, it might be the problem, although most athlons are fine running at 57C with load.

I'd still try to get it down, I had many, many problems with instabilities until I got aggressive with heat control. I never believed people that it mattered, but I was completely wrong.

without knowing if 135F is load or idle we cant help you. Like MRD said 135F is fine for load temps, mine actually reach 142, but doesnt crash. We need more info

Sounds like the CPU is warm. . could be a poorly mounted HSF. I would also check the PSU. It may be a bit weak for your needs.

Z

Yea..the 135 was in the OS...but I just put new thermal compound on the cpu and the computer shut off again at 122 (in bios) .. so I think it may be a faulty cpu (2nd one..no oc) .. i tried 2 power supplies..so i dont think that is the problem

any other ideas?

Last edited:
I have a fan in the the back..and a fan on the side.....also the fan on the heatsink is stock...

and the temperature, from what I see isnt a factor anymore...but I think at one time the processor got too hot and that is why it isnt working anymore. Because in the bios it shut down at just 122 recently

Are you running your memory and your processor at the same frequency? Sometimes if you run the memory and processor external frequency asyncronous, you will have random shutdowns and reboots. If you are not using PC2100 RAM and you are running the RAM at SPD, this could cause rebooting and shutting down.

Did you overclock your CPU???

Try this.

Reseat the CPU heat sink.
Reset the Cmos on your mobo and set everything back to stock.

The automatic shutoff temprature from mobo is why you get the beep before it shuts off. Maybe you should just bump up the automatic temp shut off to your maximum cpu operating temp. Like 70 celcius or whatever it is. You shouldn't be shutting off at 56 celcius like you are now. Sounds like you should also invest in a high performance Heat Sink and Fan.

Back