• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer sometimes restarts instead of shutdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingfish999

im not sure if this is a OS problem or mobo problem. I built this computer a few weeks ago and love it. got a slight annoyance of a problem tho. sometimes when I shut down the computer, it will restart instead of turn off. weither I turn it off by pressing the power button or by windows. it only does it about 20% of the time but still enough to where I have to make sure its turned off. any ideas?

I reused hard drives and the Windows 7 64x install from my last build. it didn't have this problem befor the build but with the new hardware it might cause one. I tried to uninstall all the old drivers, install the new. I updated the BIOS. not sure where else to start

Right click on Desktop > New > Shortcut >
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0

That will create a custom shut down link for faster shut downs after you figure out what's wrong.

Use this for reboots:
%windir%\System32\SHUTDOWN.exe -r -t 00

my game rig would do this same thing when i had the video card clocked just a bit to high, had a hair pulling time finding it.

If it's the rig in your signature, do you have Asus AI Suite installed? Ai Suite was casing issues on my CHV where, when I hit shut down in windows the gpu signal would shut down but the pc would remain on. Sometimes it would just restart instead of shut down. After un-installing it my problem no longer existed.

Last edited:
You said you did not do a clean install of windows correct? If not then maybe now is the time.

just an update I got it figured out. Turns out it was a setting in the BIOS causing it. 'ERP Ready' needed to be enabled and also having 'Anti Surge Protection' needed to be disabled. been a week since the problem

Back