• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer whine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

savagess2546

So I just bought an ASRock extreme4 and an i5-3570k. I have a thermaltake water 2.0 performer. Since then I've had an odd whining coming from the computer. I thought the watercooler fans were going out but I replaced them and the whine is still there. I have an inkling it might be the pump but the noise only ever crops up when I change fan speeds through the ASRock extreme tuner. I'm at a loss for what might cause this.

I was gonna say PSU as well mine makes a noise like that older PSU dust build up in the bering goes away if I smack it not that I suggest hitting sophisticated equipment. Try stopping each fan for a moment to isolate which is the squeaky wheel.

It's possibly an inductor on the mobo thats causing the whine. Is it like a high pitched whine/screeching or more of a squeak noise like bearings running dry? Also, what PSU do you have?

My PSU is only about a year old. It's a Corsair CX600.
The mobo/cpu are brand new.
And it's the kind of whine you'd expect from some sort of bearing/motor however, like I said, it will only ever show up if I adjust the fans from within Windows. Since posting this, I set the fans to level 5 and a temp of 50C and haven't had the whine since. The computer will ramp up the fans when gaming and what not but as long as it's the computer and not me, it won't ever start whining. it's really a weird issue.

I have a PC and 1 of the 2 fans on the V6GT CPU cooler, was making a high pitch whine and I opened up the PC and turned each fan by hand and this 1 fan would not turn unless I moved it by hand, very stiff.
I got some C1 oil used for hair clippers and WD40 and it spins great now.
saskdiy has a good idea but turn off the power and spin each fan by hand and see what fan spins slow or is stiff, sticking fingers in a fan could leave you without a finger :)

Hmm, there's that CX again.

Is it just me or do several people seem to be posting about things related to CX's lately?

I'd never used any CWT made PSU's myself.

Last edited:
Hmm, there's that CX again.

Is it just me or do several people seem to be posting about things related to CX's lately?

The CX's are bottom of the barrel budget Corsair's. They're not that great.....just better than no name junk.

Are you using the Integrated Gpu or a discrete unit? I know my GTX 670 has really bad coil whine when under load, maybe it the Gpu?!?!

It only started after changing to this new motherboard and cpu combo.

Everything else (including GPU and PSU) didn't have this whine before.
I also haven't had the whine for a while now but I also haven't used the software-based fan control which is what triggers it. I've already checked each and every fan so I'm not sure what else it could be.

So I just bought an ASRock extreme4 and an i5-3570k. I have a thermaltake water 2.0 performer. Since then I've had an odd whining coming from the computer. I thought the watercooler fans were going out but I replaced them and the whine is still there. I have an inkling it might be the pump but the noise only ever crops up when I change fan speeds through the ASRock extreme tuner. I'm at a loss for what might cause this.

It only started after changing to this new motherboard and cpu combo.

Everything else (including GPU and PSU) didn't have this whine before.
I also haven't had the whine for a while now but I also haven't used the software-based fan control which is what triggers it. I've already checked each and every fan so I'm not sure what else it could be.

Get a multimeter and measure the Voltage of the MB's fan header as you control the fan by software.

Some fan controllers change the energy going to the fan by using a Poor Man's PWM -- they interrupt the 12v to reduce the Amps getting to the fan. I gave up using inexpensive fan controllers for that very reason: they made some of my fans buzz.

Back