• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer wont start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matryx

Registered
My computer won't boot now...after I reseated the heatsink and remove the old thermal compound and reapply another one. When I boot up the computer I just get a blank screen. The fans work on my computer and the HSF is running. I dont know what to do can somebody help me plz?

Abit NF7-S v2
Athlon XP 2500+ Mobile
Samsung 512x2 MB RAM
Sapphire Radeon 9800PRO
THERMALTAKE A1889-01 SILENT BOOST SOCKETA
ANTEC SLK2650-BQE with 350W PSU

This computer was custom built and was 1 month before I did this. I've never built a computer before. What I think might of happened was that when I was applying the artic silver on to the cpu, I might of got some of it on other parts beside the core so I wiped it with alcohol. Could that of messed up the cpu?

everything powers on the fans keep spinning ...nothing turns off...just that i got a blank screen

Make sure you have the CPU fan plugged back into the correct fan header on the motherboard, and make sure you didnt reinstall the heatsink backwards, its easy to do.

Lvcoyote

yeah the fan is plugged back in and i check it isnt on backwards what else can i do

alrite i just took the heatsink on and put it back on again and try to start it but its still not booting up. Tried clearing the cmos too but no luck. Seems like everything fine tho all the fans are spinning like the HSF on my video card, HSF on cpu, and the case fan. Just that it just sits there with a blank screen when i start the computer. Also theres no beep when I start up the computer like it used to.

Also since I used alcohol to clean the Artice Silver 5 off the cpu does the alcohol affect the cpu in any way? I dont know about how the cpu is effected by the alcohol but im thinking it might of made it not work anyone more somehow?

Last edited:
hmm, I don't think the alcohol would've done anything, but I had a similar problem with my ePox, I RMA'd it, got a new one, same problem, turns out I had fried my cpu, I hope this didn't happen to you but if possible try a different one

The alcohol shouldn't have done anything, and it will all be evaporated off now. You might want to try stripping down the computer to try to get it to post. Put the mobo on a piece of cardboard or something, and connect it to ONLY the PSU, one stick of ram, videocard, CPU and heatsink, and a power button for the mobo.

If it still won't post like this, start swaping out whatever components you can to find the one that isn't working.

Back