• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Concerned High? Temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cepheus74

Registered
Hi,

I am after some help concerning the temperature of my PC.

I recently re-placed 4 fans in my case with these:

Rosewill RFA-120-BL 120mm 4 Blue LEDs LED Case cooler

120mm
2000 RPM 74.48 CFM
Sleeve
29.28 dBA

Noise is not a concern for me. However the temperatures have not changed much. I triple made sure the fans are facing the correct way. In-take at the front and out-take at the side,top and back. These fans do shift some air.

I recently cleaned out all the dust with a vacuum and swabs.

So..I am a little miffed as to why my system is running what I perceive as hot.

CPU
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/484/wycr.png

GPU
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7061/nkdw.png

My system:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
Memory: 16GB (4 x 4GB) Viper Xtreme Series PC3-15000 1866MHz CL9 Division 2 Edition
GPU: GeForce GTX 670 1058MHz 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI DirectCU II
Motherboard: P8Z77-V
PSU: Corsair 850 Watt Pro Series Gold AX850
SSD: 3 X OCZ Technology 128GB Vertex 4 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive

Are these temps OK.

Oh and Hi! :)

Note:
As I cannot mount a rear fan inside the case, it's on the outside sucking air out.

Note#2:
From the CPU load test graph, TMPIN4 seems incorrect and I am putting this down to a bad reading.

Last edited:
I cannot see the pictures as they are hosted 3rd party and can't see them from the office.. (instructions to post inline at the bottom).

I see you mention TMPIN4 etc.... Let's K.I.S.S... What does Realtemp or Coretemp say your temperatures are?

Also, for most cases, proper airFLOW is:

Front/Sides = intake
Top/Rear = Exhaust

I don't think switching your side exhaust to intake will make a huge difference, just something I noticed. ;)

OCFinsertimages.png

Links updated, dunno if it helps.

TZ10 28c
TZ01 30c
SYSTIN 30c
CPUTIN 42c
TMPIN3 56c
AUXTIN 35c

TMPIN4 146c - bad reading

core #1 69c
core #2 76c
core #3 78c
cor e#4 72c
Package 78c

These are max readings whilst under prime95 after 5mins

GPU reached 72c GPU fan hit 47%, however furmark read 59c max after 7min burn-in test. Thanks.

Again, 3rd party hosts some cannot see... I see the links, but I cannot get to them as those sites are blocked.

72C on the GPU is fine. The temps listed are fine as well.

Furmark is a power virus and will force cards to throttle. That is a bad test of GPUs. Run Unigine Heaven for a while and check temps then.

Thank you for the advice. I will post test results from Unigine Heaven.

67c From using Unigine Heaven.

What I am interested in, do I read the CPU core temps, or the CPUTIN reading. If it's the cores, then I want them lower.

I have a switch to stop my side two fans, and when I do stop them my fan on top of my case forces my top-side fan to turn the other way, as its a pretty powerful fan.

Thanks.

This is why I said use a more simple program lime real temp or coretemp. I don't use those as there can be TMI which gets confusing.. especially for someone that doesn't know what is what. :)

Keep It even More Simple and ask the relevant question: What kind of cooler you've got on the CPU? Stock?
If stock, you could put screaming Delta's on the case and it would not make the temps better... and it doesn't help that IB&Haswell suck

This is the CPU Fan that currently came with the bundle.

http://www.dabs.com/products/zalman-silent-cpu-cooler-with-pure-copper---92mm-fan-8278.html

This is the case I am currently using.

http://www.dabs.com/products/gigaby...s-with-usb-3-0-ports---2-front-fans-7YDY.html

As for my $$ to CFM ratio, I think I get these at a good price, 9c per 1 CFM. Fans are on special at newegg.ca $5.99+HST+Delivery. I did not factor in delivery as I purchased other items.

I am thinking if I change the case and cpu fan, will my temps be much lower?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Last edited:
Case seems fine... cooler is MEH. That said, temps are fine from what I can see listed, perhaps a bit warm, but... there are so many variables, like ambient temperature to name one, that go into temps. I would try another cooler for cheap though, like Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. That is cheap and better than what is on it for sure.

Case seems fine... cooler is MEH. That said, temps are fine from what I can see listed, perhaps a bit warm, but... there are so many variables, like ambient temperature to name one, that go into temps. I would try another cooler for cheap though, like Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. That is cheap and better than what is on it for sure.

Is it worth going down water cooling route for the CPU? Thanks.

That is up to you... it provides, with proper setup, better cooling and likely more quiet cooling as well. If you go custom, be prepared for $300. If you go AIO (Corsair H100i for example, $120. Does slightly better than the best air there. Just depends on your overclocking and environmental needs I guess.

Your temps are fine. If you OC the CPU than obviously you'll need a better air cooler.

Go for a AIO cooler? Better than most air if its the 120.2/140.2 versions.

Want it to be the best cooling you can get at quiet operations? Custom H20. It's another beast. Lots of time spent reading, researching and $$$, but of course! lol

The risk factor always gets elevated when leaving air for liquid. Depending on the person it is justifiable.

Your temps are fine. If you OC the CPU than obviously you'll need a better air cooler.

Go for a AIO cooler? Better than most air if its the 120.2/140.2 versions.

Want it to be the best cooling you can get at quiet operations? Custom H20. It's another beast. Lots of time spent reading, researching and $$$, but of course! lol

The risk factor always gets elevated when leaving air for liquid. Depending on the person it is justifiable.

So for my first switch from Air to Water, would the CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm be any good?

Thanks again.

I am not ready for any of the crazy projects you guys do just yet hehe.

So, I ran some further tests (prime95 for 10mins). I've not touched my Bios since I set this up. I found out my CPU hits 4.1GHz, so here are the results.

These are with my side panel fans turned off, so it seems I get better flow with these off. Next I shall tape these up to see if I gain even better flow. As it stands I only have one fan sucking air in at the front, one at the rear and one on top, specs for the fans I am using can be found further up this thread.

I am temping to move to Water and have suggested a product above, I think its time to OC to see what my current setup is capable of.

Core Temp has lower min readings as it was running long before HWMonitor.

Current room temperature is 70F. My PC is in my basement so I expect it to be slightly lower. I may goto home depot to buy a cheap temperature device.

UPDATE:

Side panel (top)fan removed
Min temperature
Side pane (top)fan sealed

I have always thought my in-take flow is poor. So this proves with the side panel (top)fan sealed the actual air flow is reduced, thus causing a 6c to 4c difference.

My next step is to try to improve the in-take, but that means I will need to move my 3 SSD drives and I don't want to block the in-take for the GPU cooling when I get around to that.

UPDATE 2(sorry)

My side panel has two slots for fans, I have kept the top one open as I have found this helps a little in cooling. The bottom side-panel fan I have turned on as I would have this on during gaming.

It looks like I managed to shave off 1c :(

I also took my system apart and totally rerouted all the cables so not one cable is in the way of the air-flow into the case. However the HDD tray in the case is slightly in the way and this annoys me, I may decide one day to rip it out lol, just means I will need to find a hope for my 3 SSDs lol(again).

Anyway...my continued search for ever decreasing temperatures continues...thanks for reading my boring updates :)

So for my first switch from Air to Water, would the CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm be any good?

Thanks again.

I am not ready for any of the crazy projects you guys do just yet hehe.

where would you put it?
-there is no room in the top or rear
-in front, means sacrificing any drive bays you have there
-sidepanel is looking for trouble unless you can rig an internal stand/bracket

PS: you dont have to use drive bays for SSD drives... you can just velcro them somewhere out of the way :)

Last edited:
where would you put it?
-there is no room in the top or rear
-in front, means sacrificing any drive bays you have there
-sidepanel is looking for trouble unless you can rig an internal stand/bracket

PS: you dont have to use drive bays for SSD drives... you can just velcro them somewhere out of the way :)

Yeah I am very much tempted to rip out the drive bays. As for the rad/fans I will mount it outside of the case. I don't mind it looking odd or even ugly if it does the job.

I am so tempted to buy a new case just to fit my needs, but money is a little tight since moving to a new country(Canada) with my young family (3 kids).

Back