• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused about results after oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raptord

I've oced my 3800 X2 to 2.1Ghz, but the more I overlock it, the lower my 3dmark score goes. Shouldnt it be going the other way?

Also, When I tried to up the FSB to 215, as soon as it got to the Windows loading screen, the PC would crash and reboot. It kept doing that until I reinstalled Windows.

If you need more information, check this post:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=444909

Your ram is slowing it down, push it up to 400mhz and you should be running everything with no divider.

Sounds like you might just need to read up on the stickies we've got posted in this section. Read up on how to o/c the A64. There is quite a few parts to watch out for. I would seriously read up on the theory before continueing.

It sounds like your ram is limiting you, you'll probably have to run a divider. Make sure to run memtest to make sure your ram is stable. What's your HTT multiplier set at? You'll eventually have to set it down to 4/3x. Once you get into windows make sure you run Prime95 for about 30-60 min to test for basic stability. Optimal stability would be a 12-24 hour prime95 test. If everything is done correctly you should see your 3dmark score go up.

Michael Warren said:
Your ram is slowing it down, push it up to 400mhz and you should be running everything with no divider.

I don't think he's running a divider. A 215mhz FSB means the ram is running at 430mhz. (ie- overclocked)

Raptord said:
my divider is at 166 (stock is 200) and my HTT Mulpilier is at 4x
Thats what I thought you were running your ram at. Your HTT multiplier should not be at 4X it should be at 11. Dont mix up the HTT multiplier and the HTF (Hyper Transport Frequency).

Make your ram run at 200 and your 3dmarkscore should shoot up because amd's love when you run your ram insync with your HTT. If you cant push your HTT up anymore raise the volts.

Michael Warren said:
Thats what I thought you were running your ram at. Your HTT multiplier should not be at 4X it should be at 11. Dont mix up the HTT multiplier and the HTF (Hyper Transport Frequency).

wait, i DID get mixed up. Ill try that again. My HTF is at 4x and HTT is at 10. I cant raise it higher than 10, its locked.

By the way, does anyoen know anything about my my comp was crashing at 215mhz?

Last edited:
Raise the volts on your diego, try 1.525 and raise the volts on your ram to 2.85 because your ram might be holding you back.

holy crow, you guys throw volts at these things like they are bartons lol :p in my case, i dont give it more than 1.45 in my bios, wich works out to be 1.46-1.47 in windows, wich gives my max *stable* 24 hour number crunching madness 2850mhz. unfortunately for me, anything more is just extra heat, and errors :(

Well 1.55 wont hurt unless you are getting load temps that are higher than 55C so it should be able to handle it well. Im about to play around with my diego myself lol.

yeah these cpus are kind of weird, its my first a64, but im a little curious why it will do the speeds im at, with the relative low volts im useing, but if i try say 2900 with up to 1.55 itll fail sp2004, but it will do 3d at 3g with 1.575, but again, no number crunching, or this thing poo poos all over itself. maybe its that nasty ihs getting in the way heh. but more then likely, im at the limit, and limits suck :(

Back