• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting LCD to computer. Good idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

I have this: http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Philips_26PF5320_LCD_TV_26/4507-6482_16-31491457.html?tag=nav

I want to connect to my computer. Would this be a good idea? I play games occasionally and watch movies. I don't see why people don't start getting LCD's like this and hooking them up to their computers. I mean it has 16ms response time, DVI connections, good resolution, ect. Would this be a good idea to connect to my computer? If not, why?

I dont see why you couldnt or shouldnt use that with your computer. It seems like an okay LCD for movies or console games. I say give it a try and see how you like it

probably because most people don't want to spend $1000 on a computer monitor. It makes sense that it would work, but for the everyday computer user, it's not worth the expense. Would you use s-video to hook it up? or DVI-I?

ALso, it seems like a waste of a tv, if you'll only be using it for the computer. I think it's a good idea if you can also watch TV on it, else it's kind of a waste in my opinion.

scott d said:
probably because most people don't want to spend $1000 on a computer monitor. It makes sense that it would work, but for the everyday computer user, it's not worth the expense. Would you use s-video to hook it up? or DVI-I?

ALso, it seems like a waste of a tv, if you'll only be using it for the computer. I think it's a good idea if you can also watch TV on it, else it's kind of a waste in my opinion.

Well hypothetically I could run cable and watch cable through it as well. Basically, my parents bought one of those TV's, and I'm bringing my rig home for the Holidays and will be jacking that and using it for large screen goodness.

is that 16ms from black to white - or the typical grey to grey :(

and as said - people dont because it cost $1044. Also resolution limitations.

1366 x 768

what if i want higher resolution - also, how does it look when you use a lower res?

What if i dont want a 44lb monitor.

How clear is text from a PC on it? as TV's are famous for having crappy text on it, LCD's i am sure are better.

Mr.Guvernment said:
is that 16ms from black to white - or the typical grey to grey :(

and as said - people dont because it cost $1044. Also resolution limitations.

1366 x 768

what if i want higher resolution - also, how does it look when you use a lower res?

What if i dont want a 44lb monitor.

How clear is text from a PC on it? as TV's are famous for having crappy text on it, LCD's i am sure are better.

I couldn't find the specs, but most likely grey to grey. I'll post some screens and tell you how the res is when I hook it up. I am contemplating on just lugging my computer to the monitor rather than move the monitor.
:D

I hooked up my regular tv once to my computer. The text was horrible, but this was well before the days of hdtv and dvi. Hopefully the res and these will make it a little better.

Skiing Squirrel said:
I couldn't find the specs, but most likely grey to grey. I'll post some screens and tell you how the res is when I hook it up. I am contemplating on just lugging my computer to the monitor rather than move the monitor.
:D

I hooked up my regular tv once to my computer. The text was horrible, but this was well before the days of hdtv and dvi. Hopefully the res and these will make it a little better.

Do you have any good news with your new LCD?

Back