• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Console Gamer needs help building a low budget mid range custom gaming PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
****. My bad. That's what I meant. How important is having a SSD and HDD together? I'm thinking about ditching the SSD because I won't be storing a lot of games on the hard drive and I really need to cut down the total a little.

****. My bad. That's what I meant. How important is having a SSD and HDD together? I'm thinking about ditching the SSD because I won't be storing a lot of games on the hard drive and I really need to cut down the total a little.

You can get by without an SSD. Most of us are so addicted to them on this forum that we just couldn't see ourselves living without them, though. Games installed on SSD load into levels faster. Operating system and programs are faster loading and more responsive. Virtual memory is faster. It's just a good thing to have. If you don't buy one now, definitely put money aside and pick one up within the next couple of months. Just make sure you don't pick a slow hard drive :).

Another option if you don't see yourself ever buying an SSD down the line is a hybrid drive. These cost about 40% more than conventional hard drives but are certainly cheaper than buying an SSD and give you the functionality and mass storage of an HDD with (some) of the speed of an SSD.

One last thing to suggest, since you're starting fresh, I'd recommend stepping up your cooler to a noctua nh-d14/15 or phanteks ph-tc14dqrmnatdfiwregh390523594 (ok ok, ph-tc14 something lol, I never remember). While you may not use it right away, it will certainly give you more leg room for cooling.

I added the Noctuna NH-D14. It costs a little more, but still within my price range.

Right on. How long do you think that build will last without having to upgrade anything? Keep in mind, I have no interest in keeping up to date with the latest and greatest games that strive for huge graphic improvements. I'm probably going to play a lot WoW and SWTOR before I start building up a collection on steam.

Right on. How long do you think that build will last without having to upgrade anything? Keep in mind, I have no interest in keeping up to date with the latest and greatest games that strive for huge graphic improvements. I'm probably going to play a lot WoW and SWTOR before I start building up a collection on steam.

No one can say with any authority. Id expect it to last 3-4 years with upgrades from time to time.

Sounds good. Thanks for all the feedback. With some extra hours at work I should have this build bought and put together within a few short months, hopefully no longer than two. Thanks again.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/4phdnQ

Changed your power supply. Friends don't let friends use a bronze rated PSU in their main machine. That's for builds you do for people you don't respect, cheap HTPC's, etc. Not your main rig. I switched it for a Seasonic G-550. Way way better. You'll never need 750W. If you want to do dual GPUs in future (which will be a heat factory with 290s), get the 750 you were looking at. Or better yet the EVGA Supernova G2 750.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/4phdnQ

Changed your power supply. Friends don't let friends use a bronze rated PSU in their main machine. That's for builds you do for people you don't respect, cheap HTPC's, etc. Not your main rig. I switched it for a Seasonic G-550. Way way better. You'll never need 750W. If you want to do dual GPUs in future (which will be a heat factory with 290s), get the 750 you were looking at. Or better yet the EVGA Supernova G2 750.

You realize it'll take many years to break even on the added upfront costs, right?

My 290 has yet to see over 55c in games (including crysis 3), and Fire strike tops out at 67c. Not sure why the radical claims of uncontrollable heat are so rampant around here ( not just you...).

You realize it'll take many years to break even on the added upfront costs, right?

My 290 has yet to see over 55c in games (including crysis 3), and Fire strike tops out at 67c. Not sure why the radical claims of uncontrollable heat are so rampant around here ( not just you...).

I never said it was uncontrollable. Also, temperature and heat are not the same. The card can remain at a lower temperature while still heating the room due to its high TDP. Much in the same way that a 5Ghz FX 8 core heats a room up more than a 4Ghz i7. Despite possibly running at a lower temperature.

also, you will be able to replace the 290 in the build with the 970 and not have to change anything else.

Perfect. I'm getting 970 instead. Costs a little more, but it's still barely within my budget.

Back