• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Constant freezing while stress testing (prime95, occt, etc...)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You need to disable AMD Turbo Core Technology.

You probably should have Load Line Calibration on Ultra High. I would select a milder setting.

You probably should disable CPUNB Load Line Calibration altogether.

Now you will need to take the CPU offset voltage off of "Auto" and introduce manual values in order to bump up the vcore to maintain stability of overclock.

Great, thanks.

When I had my Vcore to Manual past 4.2V, the heat would keep on rising past the 60 degrees core package. Even if I do have a water cooling system with push/pull fans and 4 x 200mm fans... Hmmm... I will try to see the max stable with 4.15V...

Also, CPU temp shows idle at 40degrees, then jumps past 80 degrees with Prime, while CORE PACKAGE idle at 18 degrees, then stable at around 55 degrees with Prime.. Which one is the correct temp to watch out for, when AMD states the max temp for fx-8150 is 61 degrees...?

Vcore at 4.2? No way, man! That would fry it three times over. Do you mean 1.42?

Great, thanks.

When I had my Vcore to Manual past 4.2V, the heat would keep on rising past the 60 degrees core package. Even if I do have a water cooling system with push/pull fans and 4 x 200mm fans... Hmmm... I will try to see the max stable with 4.15V...

Also, CPU temp shows idle at 40degrees, then jumps past 80 degrees with Prime, while CORE PACKAGE idle at 18 degrees, then stable at around 55 degrees with Prime.. Which one is the correct temp to watch out for, when AMD states the max temp for fx-8150 is 61 degrees...?

You need to look at both CPU (socket) temp and Core Package temps. Both are important, particularly with the FX CPUs because of their complex power management scheme. AMD is coy about which one they refer to when they say a max temp of 61c because they want to play on the safe side, i.e. "whichever one reaches 61c first." What I can tell you is that on the forum we usually tell people that you don't want to exceed about 60c core temp or 70c socket temp. Referencing idle temps is usually not very helpful unless they are suspiciously high, indicating that the CPU cooler isn't seated well, the TIM wasn't applied correctly or the cooler fan is not working properly. Often, the temp sensors are poorly calibrated towards the low end of the temp scale anyway, indicated by a lower than ambient reading.

Dude, it's way past time you created a "Sig" so that a summary of your system components travels with every post you make. What you list in that regard at the start of the thread gets lost and buried as the thread gets long. This is a common courtesy on the forum. To create a Sig, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then click on Edit Signature. Please include make/model/speed/amount (for ram) wattage (for PSU) information about your CPU, CPU cooler, motherboard, ram, PSU, video card and case. You can reference mine if you want an example.

Last edited:
Urgh.. I was stable 4.3 with my TX650, but then the PSU got REALLy noisy so I changed to a HX750 and since then, the PC doesn't go to sleep anymore and sometimes hangs after a couple hours @ idle..... i'm tired of having these issues :(

Urgh.. I was stable 4.3 with my TX650, but then the PSU got REALLy noisy so I changed to a HX750 and since then, the PC doesn't go to sleep anymore and sometimes hangs after a couple hours @ idle..... i'm tired of having these issues :(

The only thing you changed was your PSU when these issues came to rise?

Personally I don't ever use sleep-- it hasn't ever done much more than sucked, especially while overclocking. I don't like the sounds of random hangs on a brand new PSU, though.

I never use sleep either. Have had nothing but problems with it. I suggest you go into Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Peformance and you'll be rid of those sleep problems.

It is set to 'high power', with 'sleep' activated; I do have 2 roomates, which is why I also have 'password required at wake'...

It is set to 'high power', with 'sleep' activated; I do have 2 roomates, which is why I also have 'password required at wake'...

See, I just shut my rigs down when I walk away from them. Having a sub-11 second boot helps with this process. You'll always have issues with sleep / standby when OC'ing.. You may end up having to budge-- Either give up some OC ground or shake off your dependance on sleep. You can always make a dummy "user" and go to the switch user screen every time you walk away.. Shoot, set this to a .bat file and make it execute when you click the center button of your mouse or hit a particular keyboard key if you need to.

I did tricks like that while in college-- Made my right "alt" key lock the computer, since I always use the left :D

Sweet, thanks for the tips! I do, however, have a 'sleep' button on my keyboard ;) But... I would LOVE my rig to go to sleep by itself, after 30 mins, like it used to prior to the psu upgrade

OK. So here's an update to my situation.

My PC goes to sleep mode perfectly now. The only thing is, when it is in sleep mode for over 8 hours (i.e. over night), sometimes it freezes and the monitors don't get any signal. Weird thing, is that when I press on the 'sleep' button on my keyboard, the entire machine stops working, including fans (as it should). BUT when I get back home from work, sometimes the fans are spinning already when I get to the PC and no signal going to the monitors.

Does this have to do with my O/C ?? I have only O/C to 4.2ghz... I think 19.5 multiplier with 225 freq, and everything power saving disabled with 1.4V

sounds like winders acting like winders.
sleep has been an issue with winders for a while.

Hmm.. could you kindly be a little more specific on what are winders ? And is there a fix ? Thanks

Back