• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Contemplating Between Coolers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LolCakeLazors

At the moment, it's summer time over here and my computer runs at a steady 35 C - 45 C on idle but reaches around 70C when on load (computer games). Obviously, that is a problem and needs to be resolved before my CPU gets damaged.

In addition, I'd like to OC my CPU as it seems that my 955 BE has a lot more potential. However, I cannot do that at the moment since well, 70C is pretty hot.

I currently have:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ Stock
Cooler: Stock
Motherboard: 870A-G54 (MSI)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout

I'm split between the Hyper 212 Evo, XIGMATEK HDT-S1283, Scythe Mugen 2 (I can't find it though, it's been discontinued for the 3), and the Scythe Mugen 3. I'm only willing to spend under 50$ and of course, I would need to buy thermal paste (probably Arctic Silver 5 or MX-2).

Size does not matter to me as I have looked around and verified that all of them fit in the case. My ram does not have head spreaders and should fit. I'm just looking for the best performer out of all of these.

My experience has been that the Hyper 212+ was slightly better than the HDT-S1283 with my old 955BE. The EVO is a marginally improved version due to easier application of thermal grease (no gaps between the heatpipes). Due to that, I'm voting for the 212EVO

The Scythe Mugen 2 is a fine choice, if you can find a place that stocks it.

did i hear someone say mugen?

BreakdanceMugen.gif

sorry that added no real value to the thread. Although i hope someone picked up on it ;)

Again to mirror what everyone else has said, the mugen is a solid cooler. Im' not 100% sure about the 3 Vs the 2 tbh. The XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 and Evo 212's are great coolers for the price. The xigmatek is so dam cheap too. Tbh you cant go wrong with any of them. If you want to save some $ go with the 212/ XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 if you want a bit more then go for the mugen, you get what you pay for in the end ;)

Last edited:
+1 EVO

I use the Hyper 212 EVO on my 3930K and it keeps it around 35C idle and 70C Prime95 @~25C ambient. The stock fan CM gives runs around 1700RPM but doesn't push enough air for me personally.

I like the EVO b/c they give you additional mounting brackets for you to add another fan for push/pull. I haven't done this yet but I plan to soon and will update temps for you when I do.

If you get the EVO + additional decent fan that should put you right under $50.

It's around 28 degrees C in the room right now. Any chance of getting 4.0 GHz or higher with the EVO at these ambient temps?

Thats a nice low ambient temp (by Australian standards). 3.8-4GHz should be doable.

It's just really cold here at the moment though ;)

How about 33 C? That's what it usually is in the summer.

Then I actually might get a Mugen 3 because I've been reaching for that 4.0 GHz for a while :)

Or maybe I just need to add another fan onto my case.

I had great performance from the Xigmatek Gaia

I had great performance from the Xigmatek Gaia. Idle temps in the 24-27C range. I peaked at 42C with all four cores going at 100% for about five minutes, and they are cheap! $29.xx at newegg.

Just looking at the Mugen 3 (I have never used one) twice as many heatpipes, twice as many risers, the baseplate is thicker, the Gaia's heatpipes are part of the baseplate. I know some take issue with the Gaia's baseplate, but it worked very well for me. The Gaia comes with enough of the rubber mounts to add a fan for push/pull. Still, the Mugen 3 looks like a high quality unit for a reasonable price.

Back