• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Control two 3-pin fans with motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZapTap

I have two 120mm 3-pin fans in my system right now, and only one 3-pin controller on my motherboard. Does anyone know of a way I can control both of these in unison from this motherboard? I can use a spare molex for power and I have an adapter somewhere, but I'll need to figure out how to make the speed control work properly.

Sure, you could simply use a splitter for the fans. Make sure that this won't overload your fan header. The limit is usually stated in the manual.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200855

I didn't realize that will work :eek: the only paperwork that came with my mainboard was the "quick installation guide" and it's typically useful with the layout of headers and whatnot, but I don't see any more info on power draw for the fan headers in there. and for that matter, I don't know the draw on my fans, how could I figure that one out?

If you look at the sticker on the hub of the fan, it should say how many amps it is (e.g. "0.2 A"). If it is a newer motherboard, it should be ok to 2 amps, but I would keep it around 1 amp if you don't know for sure.

Well thank you very much for your help:) I'll have to get that splitter and get it all hooked up before too long :D

Back