• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

converting an apogee extreme cpu block into a gpu block!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxfly

hey all, im considering the EK-VGA Supremacy

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-vga-supremacy-acetal#ow_alert_box

for a 580gtx in my back up rig. sadly i attached a arctic accelero xtreme III to it and used thermal CEMENT(har har) to attache the heatsinks on the mem and vrms. soooo im stuck using a gpu only block. im wondering if anyone has tried the ek block(or any other gpu only block)? if so how did you like its performance? my biggest concern is the mem and vrms. i want to use some kind of active cooling to keep them from cooking. adding a 120mm fan somehow etc... if you have used a gpu block what did you do to keep the mem/vrms cool? pics would be excellent ;)
thanks in advance!

Last edited:
If it's compatible with the older GPU and you're adding to a existing sufficient loop, sure why not. If not, I'd venture into getting a AIO with a AIO compatible bracket. Have a look at the NZXT Kraken 12. It comes with a bracket and a 120mm for your VRMs, etc. Just needs a AIO.

If it's compatible with the older GPU and you're adding to a existing sufficient loop, sure why not. If not, I'd venture into getting a AIO with a AIO compatible bracket. Have a look at the NZXT Kraken 12. It comes with a bracket and a 120mm for your VRMs, etc. Just needs a AIO.

that is sweet (it is in fact going into a loop so no go. its just a small loop- cpu, 2x120 rad, gpu and a pair of ancient ddcs). it literally takes care of everything! gah if only they sold it with a universal block it would be perfect. id bet that could work with a universal block with a little modding...

I have used old CPU waterblocks on gfx cards with brackets I have modded . I normally add small sinks to the ram but also havent before .
One example I can find
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...tx-heat-load?p=7893965&viewfull=1#post7893965

you know i have an old swifty apogee sitting in the parts bin...nice work Console! that same thought went through my mind as i was researching/pricing blocks. i didnt even bother to get the apogee out of its box. ill bet it would have been perfect with a tiny bit of modding. i am going to get that bad boy out and see if it will work ;) thanks for the suggestion!
i did in fact order a block but i went with the alphacool gpu hf 14. its simple and cheeep hehe. altho if i can make the apogee work i will be returning it. i have until monday to get the apogee mounted. thanks for the suggestions/help everyone!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H3KBAKE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3GO5VFCNOM5I7&psc=1 DSCI0172.jpg DSCI0173.jpg

its a apogee extreme but i think it has the right kind of frame to fit the gtx580s hole pattern.

Last edited:
I used the same block/bracket on a 950gtx as well . good luck on the modding , I just wish I had some 90 deg fittings I wouldnt have needed such big swoops of tubes to make the bends .

it covers/fits over the core and screw holes almost perfectly!
theres two spots where i will have to trim some of the bracket off to clear the memsinks.

hows this for a horrible mount?! the arctic cooling hsf comes with those tiny white mounting spacers that are obviously a bit to long. even with the screws cranked down it made awful contact. thats what i get for not checking the mount! temps were fine so it REALLY surprised me to see that. i tried to make the pictures smaller...sorry.

DSCI0175.jpg

Attachments

• DSCI0176.jpg
    DSCI0176.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 274
  • DSCI0180.jpg
    DSCI0180.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 269
  • DSCI0177.jpg
    DSCI0177.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 278
FYI more than a few ppl have used Zip ties to attach waterblocks to gpus with good results =)

Maybe drill the holes bigger so they can match the hole pattern .

FYI more than a few ppl have used Zip ties to attach waterblocks to gpus with good results =)

ugh i was REALLY close to doing just that! amazingly i was able to find 4 screws and nuts that worked perfect! woohoo! that was easy to build but a MAJOR pain to find what i needed to finish it. why the barbs you ask? i do in fact have 90s and 45s for fittings but the block has recessed openings that wont allow them to seat properly! grr im going to pay hell trying to make my 5ft of tubing work now.
i cant run any tests until monday according to newegg and amazon. im waiting on the rad, the case, and a new ddc pump that should be here then. so hopefully i can get the loop put together and leak tested monday eve.
to anyone out there that has an old cpu block lying around. go dig it out and see if you can mod it into a gpu block! it really is easy. the hardest part is finding the right hardware to mount it but like Console suggested zipties will work just fine. if i had all of the goods to build it right from the start i would say this is a hour long process including a good scrub before mounting the block!

DSCI0181.jpg

DSCI0185.jpg

DSCI0187.jpg

Last edited:
finally got the case today. thanks to fed ex taking their own sweet time. it should have been here last thursday. anyhow, got the loop done and just waiting for the leak test. im sure i could fire it up now but ill be patient for once. i added a 120mm fan to the gpu to make sure everything stays nice and cool. its a really low cfw fan but im sure it will do fine. the case is a deepcool dukase. i couldnt pass it up for $45 amir($10). it is surprisingly well made. installed a 240mm rad up top and squeeeezed the pump in between the gpu and front fan. it is TIGHT! i was going to mount a second pump in the psu cellar(heh) but it was just too much of a pita to get the tubing run thru there. so its all up to this little 10w alphacool ddc310 cheepie $38 w/free shipping, so yeah what do you do. i havent run a single pump in a long time due to some ddc failures ive had. keepin my fingers crossed. i will get the promised test results up sometime today.

DSCI0189.jpg DSCI0189 (2).JPG

edit: forgot to mention that the block was bigtime convex so after a couple test mounts i couldnt get the bend out by tightening the screws down so i just gave it a gob of tim around the edges and called it good. im talkin you could see daylight all the way around the base. the only part touching was maybe a 1/2inch round in the center. after the slathering of tim no more daylight! we shall see...

Last edited:
I would have attached 45's instead of the straight barbs on the block. Would have taken alot more stress away from those bends. Great job tho!

I would have attached 45's instead of the straight barbs on the block. Would have taken alot more stress away from those bends. Great job tho!

sadly i couldnt, the block has recessed barb ports. none of my 45s or 90s would seat all the way so i had to use the same barbs i used with it ions ago :( ek 1/2in barbs.
and the lovely new 10w alphacool ddc310 pump is dead. came in this evening and it was making a weird squeaking noise, still running tho. the res is still really full despite having run all day. thats strange. it should have pulled at least a little air out of the loop. so i shut it off for a few minutes while i looked everything over. no leaks, nothing unusual. start it back up...nothing. try a different molex, nothing. it wont start back up. smells gross. not like burning electronics. i cant describe it. what is it with these ddc pumps!!!!!!!!! this is the fourth ddc that has died on me. i am cursed. im done with ddcs. d5s for the win.
my hands still hurt like hell from putting all those compression fittings on. i will tear it down later. grrrr
whew soooo glad i didnt fire this thing up last night. it probably would have fried the cpu and gpu.

Yep, that will work nicely! Get to it! :thup: I got a swifty MCW82 I've been debating to add to my vid card.

i would give it a go. swiftechs gpu only blocks are solid. i had a mcw60? cant remember the name but i ran it on a 8800gtx back in the day and it worked great. i still have the copper mem sinks from that build hehe. no block tho. im sure i sold it off.
unfortunately im pretty sure i wont be able to tighten up those fittings i linked to. that thin line of gnurled metal on the bottom below the xspc is the only place to HAND tighten them and that will drop into the gpu fittings with no way to tighten it down. ill post a pic once i get the loop torn down, gah. im going to have to grab some plastic fittings like you suggested. altho i have to come up with the loot to buy a new d5 first. im pretty much tapped out with all of the xmas shopping. im going to return this dead ddc and pull out my ekd5 dualbayres. while im at it i think ill lap the apogee and see if i cant get it a little closer to being flat. if im lucky ek will have a part like the xspc i linked to. ek is smart enough to give you a allen hole to tighten their stuff up with.

Back